Display 9100804554 63ee423961 o
by Danielle Newman

The 7 Types of People You Encounter in College Classes

By Danielle Newman - Oct 15 2015

1. The workaholic.

This person is constantly working during class… which also means they aren’t paying attention to lecture. They are normally typing essays for the class you know has a paper due on that same day. However, reading their paper on polyatomic ions or the temporal lobe isn't going to help you pass your sociology class. Get back to taking notes!

2. The iMessenger. 

This person distracts you from lecture on the daily, but their conversation with their friend (usually complaining about class or talking about how hungover they were the past weekend) is often more interesting than the class itself. You should probably stop creeping and get back to paying attention to that lecture though.

3. The no-show.

Occasionally you’ll see this person wander into class, usually around midterm or finals week. Whenever they do come to class, you notice that you don’t recognize them. It's like you've never seen them before. Before that day, you didn’t even know they were in your class. Don’t get too close though, or they may start asking you for notes so they can continue their bad habits. (Do not try this at home, folks. Resulting consequences can damage GPA and your pride.)

4. The one who never takes notes.

This person irritates you to death. They either sleep during the class, play on their phones, or whisper (or so they think) to their non-notetaking friends sitting with them. Occasionally the professor will call them out. When they ask you for notes, steer clear.

5. The one who always asks stupid questions.

Yes, stupid questions exist. This individual will normally either ask a question that was just answered because they were too busy being distracted by a plethora of other things or ask a question that was covered in the reading you were supposed to do for class… AWKWARD.

6. The one who asks questions that actually make sense.

Love this person with all of your heart. They will save your butt when you're confused. When most people are too shy to ask a question about that contradiction your professor just made or about that one thing your professor didn’t explain very well, this person has your back.

7. The suck-up

This person is usually also #6 or #7. They ask a ton of questions during class so that your professor acknowledges his/her existence. They also probably go to office hours to ask the same questions again. He/she also probably tries to answer all your professor’s questions to try to prove how intelligent he/she is. Being this person isn't all bad though. It may not get you that A, but it should get you a killer recommendation letter.

Lead Image Credit: Jirka Matousek

Danielle Newman - University of Pittsburgh

Danielle Newman is a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Bioengineering and plans on becoming certified in prosthetics and orthotics. Before college, she was the historian of her school’s student government. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @daniii_newman!