Display the look
by Danielle Newman

The 10 Best Things About Being in a Long-Distance Relationship Your Freshman Year

By Danielle Newman - Oct 08 2015

1. You learn to be independent.

Going to college without your significant other to lean on can suck, but you learn how to survive on your own and it makes you a stronger person.

2. You can tell a girl/guy trying to get your number that you have a boyfriend/girlfriend, and ACTUALLY mean it.

You don’t have feel bad about lying, because you’re TELLING THE TRUTH! It gets you out of these awkward encounters.

3. You don’t have to worry about late night booty calls. You can just sleep.

You won’t have guys hitting you up at 2 am for a booty call. And if you do, look at #2.

4. You can brag about your significant other.

You’re around new people. This gives you more people to tell about your significant other.

5. It gives you an excuse to take a road trip to see him/her.

Who doesn’t like road trips?

6. You learn to appreciate your relationship more.

When you’re without him/her, you learn what the most important parts of your relationship are to you, making you more thankful for your relationship. #blessed

7. It’s the ultimate test of loyalty.

Need I say more?

8. It can reveal faults in your relationship and make it stronger.

Things will come up. Distance doesn’t always work, and it can show you what you truly want in a relationship. If it doesn’t work out, that’s OK. However, if it does work out and you survive the hardships that come along with going long-distance, those growing pains can bring you and your significant other closer than ever and strengthen the relationship. 

9. It allows you to “treat yo self.”

You get to “do you.” You get all the girls'/guys' nights you want! If you want to stay in one weekend and sleep, JUST DO IT. If you want to eat an entire chocolate cake, JUST DO IT. There’s no one to stop you. Who are you trying to impress besides yourself?

10. It’s a learning experience.

Living without your significant other is a whole different experience. You learn things about your significant other and yourself that you never knew before. You learn more than school alone could ever teach you.

Lead Image Credit: Dave Meier <http://twitter.com/HiddenDave> 

Danielle Newman - University of Pittsburgh

Danielle Newman is a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Bioengineering and plans on becoming certified in prosthetics and orthotics. Before college, she was the historian of her school’s student government. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @daniii_newman!