by Danielle Newman

7 Things I Miss About My Best Friend From Home

By Danielle Newman - Nov 02 2015

1. Seeing her all the time.

There is nothing better than seeing your best friend all the time. It's something that I now realize I took for granted in high school. The convenience of having her nearby almost all the time seems so crazy now that we're 7 hours apart. I'd give almost anything to have her a block away again.

giphy.com

2. Weekend-long sleepovers.

I loved those times over the summer where we'd switch back and forth between each other's houses for sleepovers on the weekends. Friday night I would be at her house and Saturday night she would be at mine. It was truly the best of both worlds.

giphy.com

3. Eating two dinners (one at each of our houses).

College food is sub-par to begin with, being able to eat TWO home-cooked meals in one night was literally the best thing. I had two families with two different cooking styles. I never went hungry. Plus, those strange looks our parents would give us as we walked from one house to another never got old.

giphy.com

4. Those late-night walks/runs.

Coming home from a long day of class and work was always made better by a walk/run around the block with my best friend. It was so comforting after a rough day, and just being able to get out of the house for a while was a great thing. Walking/running around with your college roommate just isn't the same.

giphy.com

5. Being able to have her there whenever you need her.

This goes without saying. Whenever I went through a bad break-up, or had a fight with a boyfriend, friend, or even my parents, I knew that I could walk over there and see her immediately. She would always come to the rescue. It's incredible to have that person in your life, and I don't know how I've survived without her! Guys just don't understand the way your best girl-friend does.

giphy.com

6. Those hugs after a week without seeing one another.

The best hugs you could ever get. EVER.

giphy.com

7. How hard she is on me.

I miss having that person who always kept it 100% real with me. Don't like the guy I'm dating? Don't think that dress looks good on me? Don't think I should eat that extra cookie? She told me right away.

giphy.com

Photo credit: Danielle Newman

Danielle Newman - University of Pittsburgh

Danielle Newman is a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Bioengineering and plans on becoming certified in prosthetics and orthotics. Before college, she was the historian of her school’s student government. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @daniii_newman!