Display 000000000
by Danielle Newman

10 Things in College We Still Haven't Gotten Used To

By Danielle Newman - Nov 25 2015

After almost an entire semester of college, there are many things that you would imagine you would have gotten used to by now. Here are some examples of those college moments:

1. Waking up for that 8am...

As the semester rolls on and you stay up later and later each night but still have to wake up at your usual time, it finally hits you that taking an 8am never gets better, and waking up for one only gets harder.

2. Being away from home...

After a few months, I still haven't quite gotten used to living 6 hours away from home. Nothing compares to the less chaotic and more peaceful environment I used to have and making a completely new city and state home to me is a long-term battle with which I constantly struggle. There's nothing quite like home.

3. The sub-par dining hall food...

The greasy hamburgers and grimy French fries never got any easier to swallow and the salt and pepper only adds so much flavor onto the chicken. By the end of the semester you need the break not only to get away from school, but to give your taste buds (and your bowels) a break from that stuff.

4. Not having your best friend(s) from home around...

You probably imagined that you'd find new friends once you left college that would fill the gap in your life after you and your BFF separated for college. Didn't happen. You probably can't wait to see him/her over Thanksgiving for the first time in 3 months.

5. Not knowing 95% of people at your school...

If you're like me and you're at a large public university, having a ton of people around and not knowing any of them is really daunting. After three months and even after three years, you probably still won't know a majority of the students on campus. Get used to continually getting lost in the crowd of unfamiliar faces.

6. Waiting until the night before an exam to study for it...

Those late nights spent studying for Calculus or Biology? They are still late and they are still exhausting. You think you're OK until you wake up the next morning and feel like you got hit by a bus.

7. Leaving the classroom after your really hard exam...

That feeling of slight depression and sadness once you leave knowing you bombed that Chemistry exam? It happens over and over after every slightly-terrible exam and doesn't get less intense as time goes on.

8. Your bed from home...

Having to switch from a super comfortable queen sized mattress to the basic twin-XL mattress used in most college dorms, I thought that the small space would seem okay after a while. However, there are still many times when I am halfway off my bed thinking that I have more room than I do.

9. Your pets...

Seeing all of the dogs being walked around campus makes your day 10000x better, but there's nothing quite as glorious as snuggling your own animal and seeing how much they love and miss you while you're gone.

10. Communal bathrooms...

I got lucky and only share a bathroom with three other girls, but if you are living in a residence hall where the 40 other people on your floor share the same bathroom you use, having to take a bathrobe, shower caddy, and those nasty shower shoes is something that makes you appreciate your smaller, cleaner, more private bathroom at home.

Lead Image Credit: Disney

Danielle Newman - University of Pittsburgh

Danielle Newman is a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Bioengineering and plans on becoming certified in prosthetics and orthotics. Before college, she was the historian of her school’s student government. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @daniii_newman!