Display 5623339500 e6d430498d o
by Danielle Newman

10 Reasons Why I’m Choosing to Begin a Long-Distance Relationship

By Danielle Newman - Sep 09 2015

Going off to college is a crazy thing. It’s the beginning of your new life. For me, that new life requires me to move 5 hours away from my high school boyfriend. Now, I know what you’re probably thinking. “It will never work.” “You should meet new people! That’s what college is about!” Sure, that’s your opinion and I respect that. No, it doesn’t always work. Yes, it’s very possible that I’ll meet someone else. But, I’m making the decision to begin a long-distance relationship, and here are 10 reasons why.

1. He’s my best friend.

When you leave for college, how many people choose to forget about their best friend and tell them that they don’t want to talk to them again once they leave for college? I know I’m not planning on doing that, which is why I’m not cutting it off with my current boyfriend. He’s not just my boyfriend. He’s my best friend. And I don’t know about you guys, but that friendship isn’t something I can imagine going off to college without.

2. I wasn’t going to choose a college based off of my relationship.

When I was choosing where I would go to college, I was really worried about being away from my boyfriend. But, when it came down to it, I knew I couldn’t base my choice off of where my boyfriend was going to school. In the end, I turned down an almost full-ride scholarship to my local university, University of Delaware, where my boyfriend is attending, to follow my dreams and attend Pitt in the fall. Do I ever wish I stayed close to home? Yes. Do I know that I made the right, although harder, decision? Absolutely. Even if that meant being 5 hours away from my boyfriend, that’s what I was going to do. You can’t define your college experience based off of one person, no matter how much you love them.

3. He keeps me sane (most of the time).

I know that when I go off to college, it is going to be very hard. Once it finally sets in that I won’t see him for a few months, it is going to upset me. However, I know that when I leave, I have him to call and break down in front of, even if it’s only over the phone. Whenever I call him upset, he will answer and make sure that I am okay.

4. He knows me better than most.

During those times when I feel alone and like no one understands me or knows me in Pittsburgh, I know that I can turn to him and he will help me, because he knows me better than almost anyone else. After spending two years of your life with someone, they learn a lot about you and you learn a lot about them. When you’re far away from home and need someone to “get you,” it’s amazing to know that even though he can’t be with you, he still “gets you” and knows how to make you feel at home, even in the place that seems the least like home at the moment.

5. He’s someone from home.

This one kind of relates to #4, but during those times when you’re homesick and would do anything to be back at home, he can be your little piece of home. It reminds you of where you came from, and where your heart still sort of belongs.

6. It will allow us to grow apart, but together at the same time.

College is a super exciting time, and I know that we’re both really excited to start this new chapter of our lives. With us going to different universities, we will get to experience different things in different places, while also being able to share those experiences with each other from time to time, which, to me, is pretty freaking awesome. I’m not only excited to be on my own and live in a completely new environment, but to be able to call him after an exciting day of events and have him be interested because it’s something different from what he spent his day doing. It gives us more to talk about, thus bringing us together through our separate experiences. Plus, if he’s really interested, it’s something you can do together when he comes to visit!

7. I want to try to beat the odds.

I think this one mostly speaks for itself. In a society where negativity regarding long-distance relationships increases all the time, and more people than ever are glad to express their opinion that your relationship won’t work in college, it’s a challenge to prove them wrong- a challenge I’m more than willing to take.

8. He’s someone I love.

When something as exciting as college comes up on the table, you want your significant other to be happy! If I pressured him into coming to college out here, or if he pressured me to stay at UD, then what kind of love is present there? If you love someone, you want them to choose their passion, their dream. I want to pursue my dream at Pitt, and want him to pursue his at UD! And what’s better than being able to share that awesome experience with someone you love? Not much in my opinion. If you have someone supporting that choice, then keep them close. Chances are they deserve to be there!

9. When I come home, he’ll be there.

AWESOME, right? Whenever I come home to visit, I also get to see him! It makes it even more exciting to come home!

10. The distance will make our relationship stronger.

Even though it’s a tough decision to start a long-distance relationship, doing so allows you and your significant other to be apart and grow individually, something we couldn’t do very easily in high school. The convenience of seeing that special someone all the time is gone. You have to rely on trust and love to stay together, while focusing on yourself for once. Choosing to go long-distance won’t keep you from meeting anybody or doing anything! It gives you time to focus on yourself and discover whether your relationship can go that extra mile. It tests both you and your relationship, but in the end, it can bring you and your significant other closer in a whole new (and super cool) way!

Lead Image Credit: woodleywonderworks

Danielle Newman - University of Pittsburgh

Danielle Newman is a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Bioengineering and plans on becoming certified in prosthetics and orthotics. Before college, she was the historian of her school’s student government. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @daniii_newman!