Display hairdressing 1516352 1920
by Dani Berris

How My Drastic Haircut Changed My Life

By Dani Berris - Jul 11 2017

We all get haircuts. Sometimes we get trims, layers or shorter bangs. I, however, as an incoming high school senior, decided to go the extreme route and donate 10 inches of my hair. The resulting pixie cut left me with an entire new look and set of beliefs about myself.

Suddenly, I wasn’t hiding behind frizzy waves all the time or fiddling with my hair and making it look even worse. Sure, I could’ve tried hair gel or special shampoos, but the task of taming my mane seemed so tiresome that I stopped caring how I looked.

Getting a dramatic haircut allowed me to change who I was in more ways than just my appearance. Suddenly, people could see my face, and they weren’t shying away from looking me in the eyes. Not only that, but I could finally see other people for who they were, because I wasn’t closing myself off from others. 

A drastic haircut might be just what you need to get over a bad break-up or even start attending a new school in a city you’ve never lived in. There’s a magic you feel when you’ve gotten a haircut that makes you want to try things you’ve never even considered trying before. You become open to new opportunities and more approachable from an outsider standpoint.

I cut my hair because I wanted to replace the qualities of a previous, less mature me. The first few years of high school made me feel uncomfortable in my own skin, and a drastic appearance change was the first step in changing how I felt about myself and how others perceived me.

If you’re looking for a new look, a new start or just a new thing to feel good about, try cutting off a few inches, or maybe even 10. It might just make you more comfortable with yourself and others.

Dani Berris - Sarah Lawrence College

Dani is a freshman at Sarah Lawrence College. She loves lipstick.