by Dani Berris

How Lipstick Can Boost Your Confidence In High School

By Dani Berris - Jul 28 2017

Feeling invisible isn’t a good thing, especially in a large high school or college. Finding ways to separate yourself from others can be a fun experiment in finding out who you are and can attract like-minded friends. For me, lipstick differentiated me from others.

As a scared incoming high school freshman, I felt insecure in a new environment. When a friend of mine recommended wearing brightly colored lipstick, I was skeptical. I didn't think I could pull it off. However, it ended up being the one thing that made me feel confident raising my hand in class and talking to strangers. 

Something about how others can see the risk I was taking made me feel bold and self-assured. If I seemed sure of myself to others, they would treat me as though I was. Because they treated me respectfully, I began to gain confidence. This circular process always worked out and made me feel good about myself. It also reaffirmed the decision to wear lipstick, causing me to wear it more often and with even more confidence.

Starting to wear bright lipstick was a pretty scary event in itself. My parents and family would ask me, “What’s that on your face?” Strangers on the street would stare at me for too long. I told myself that if I felt good about yourself when I put my lipstick on, I wouldn't let other people’s surprised reactions bother you. However, if you’d rather not receive so many stares, you can wear nude lipsticks or light colors. Some of these colors can be even more dramatic than a dark purple or a bright orange.

You actually have to make a lot of choices when you’re selecting lipsticks to buy. You have to decide whether you prefer lip stains, lip glosses, lip pencils or the simple lipstick. Do you like matte or shiny lipstick? For lip gloss, you have to decide whether you prefer simple shines, colored glosses or sparkly colors.

If you’re unsure about what color will work with your skin tone, you can buy a few different drugstore brand lipsticks and test them out at home. Once you know what colors you like, you can go to a department store or Sephora to swatch colors and test them on your lips.

You can pair specific lipsticks with items of clothing from your closet, making outfits much more exciting. For example, wearing a completely black or white outfit give you the opportunity to wear a bold red lip. Wearing a lot of navy gives you the opportunity to wear an orange lip color, since blue and orange complement each other. You can also apply a lip color that highlights the color of your eyes or your hair.

Wearing lipstick will pay off when that random girl from your History class compliments you and you two become friends, or when you don't need to apply any other make-up and your face still looks great. 

Lipstick, although sometimes a hassle to keep applying, can boost your mood and make you feel good about yourself. It will give you the boost that you need while public speaking or going on a blind date. 

Dani Berris - Sarah Lawrence College

Dani is a freshman at Sarah Lawrence College. She loves lipstick.