Display house
by Dani Berris

6 Surprising Things I Realized I Miss From Home

By Dani Berris - Sep 15 2017

Of course, when I left for college, I knew I would miss some things. Specifically, I knew I would miss my siblings, my favorite sushi restaurant and my bedroom. However, the longer I've been at school, the more I've realized how much I actually miss from home.

1. My car.

Going to school in New York, I knew that bringing a car was a bad idea. I did not anticipate how much I would miss my car and just the concept of having personal transportation. Without my car, I lost a sense of freedom that I thought would be replaced with living on my own in a new town. I often find myself wishing I could go for a drive on the freeway with the windows down, blasting my favorite songs.

2. Changing clothes in an empty room.

Additionally, I did not think about the pressures of having roommates while getting ready for the day. I miss getting ready in my own space and not worrying about whether someone is watching me change clothes or not. I'm sure this will change with time as I get more comfortable with my roommates, but right now I miss being able to change freely.

3. Being loud in the morning.

Speaking of roommates, I also find myself missing being as loud as I want when I'm getting ready in the morning. At home, part of waking up included playing music in the bathroom while I showered and trying on tons of different clothes until I found an outfit that I liked. Sadly, trying on tons of clothes includes opening and closing many drawers. Since I often wake up before my roommates, I have to be extra cautious about opening and closing doors while other people are sleeping, making my morning routine much different than it was at home.

4. Playing loud music. 

Although I do have to be quiet while my roommates have to be sleeping, I also have to keep my area pretty quiet, out of respect. I work the best with music blaring out of a speaker or my record player, so I had to make the transition into just using headphones all the time. Although I can still play music in my ears, I miss the freedom of playing music loudly for everyone in my house to enjoy.

5. Being called a "senior."

Going from a senior to a freshman again is also difficult to process. After getting through high school, I never wanted to be called a freshman again. So, I really just miss referring to myself as a "senior" instead of a "freshman" because it makes me feel like I'm back at the beginning of high school. I'm sure that I'll regret saying this later in the year when freshman year ends up being the best time of my life and I can't even remember my freshman year of high school.

6. Home-cooked meals.

Even though everyone warned me that I would miss my mom's cooking, I did not believe anyone. After only three weeks of college, I can confidently say that I miss home-cooked meals instead of cafeteria food. 

Ultimately, I miss more than I thought I would because I have made such a big transition. I know that once I get more accustomed to life at college, I will likely get over some of the things I mentioned and instead appreciate the benefits of living alone at school.

Dani Berris - Sarah Lawrence College

Dani is a Sophomore at The New School. She loves lipstick.