Display estee janssens 396874
by Dani Berris

5 Reasons Why Starting a Club Freshman Year Is Worth it

By Dani Berris - Nov 05 2017

Whether you love indie films, martial arts or gardening, joining clubs in college is a great way to explore your interests or find new things you're interested in. If your college doesn't have a club that you want to be a part of, apply to make a new one! Usually, all you need is one other person to co-head the new club with you or a faculty member to support it and you can start right away. Here are five benefits to starting a club during your first year at college:

1. Learning Leadership Skills

Whether you have a traditional "leader" personality or not, now is your chance to spearhead something that you are passionate about. By forcing yourself to lead a group of students, you will learn the most productive ways of managing a group and communicating. It may be uncomfortable at first, but it will really pay off when you get the hang of it.

2. Adding Something Impressive to Your Resume

A lot of college freshman have a very short resume or don't even have one at all. Adding the position "co-chair of a club" to your resume will impress all of the representatives at your internship fair and put you ahead of a lot of other students. While being in a club is great, proving that you possess an initiative to start something you're passionate about will impress interviewers a lot. This is especially helpful if your club is related to what you're interviewing for! 

3. Expand Your Knowledge

If your college doesn't offer a course or club in photography and you want to learn more about it, there are a lot of online sources and library books that could help. Starting a club could finally force you to learn more about a topic you've always been fascinated by. Who knows, maybe you'll find a new career path that you've never considered before!

4. Take Your Mind Off of Schoolwork

Writing papers can be extremely time-consuming and frustrating. Whenever you need a break and you don't want to be sucked into the Netflix vortex, you can work on material for your new club. Doing this for only five minutes can improve your mood, clear your mind and remove unnecessary stress from your day.

5. Find Like-Minded People

Depending on the size of your school and the uniqueness of your club, there are probably at least a few other students on campus who are interested in the same thing. As long as you advertise well, you will find that students want to be a part of your club. You will all share a common interest, bonding you and helping you make some new friends. Starting at a new school in a new place can be intimidating enough without having to worry about not having anything in common with your peers.

Ultimately, starting a club at your school will help you bring your personality into the college that you attend. You will learn skills that you can't learn any other way at this age while impressing future employers. Throwing yourself into a topic that interests you will help you learn more about yourself and what you enjoy doing. So, if you want my advice, start that club you've been thinking about. It will definitely pay off.

Dani Berris - Sarah Lawrence College

Dani is a freshman at Sarah Lawrence College. She loves lipstick.