Display 16506306425 9a60e77aa0 k
by Daja Henry

Yik Yak Just Made a Major Change To One Of Its Features

By Daja Henry - Mar 11 2016

According to the Huffington Post, Yik Yak, a social media app popular among college students for its anonymity, is implementing user handles. Yik Yak became popular because its anonymous platform allowed for "unfiltered conversation."

But along with unfiltered conversation comes truly unfiltered racism, heckling, and trolling.

Posts on yik yak range from funny commentaries on campus life like this:

To gross displays of racism like this:

In attempts to combat the hostile environment on Yik Yak, the creators of the app, Tyler Droll and Brooks Buffington, have introduced usernames. Users have the option to toggle names on and off when posting. This feature encourages users to take ownership over their comments and allows students to filter their intake based on the knowledge of which users they like and don't like.

Droll told the Huffington Post that they would like to create "tighter-knit communities" with this new feature. They also recently implemented icons, which brought a two-fold increase in replies. Apparently, users had a "hunger for deeper-level interactions."

Will the modification of Yik Yak's integral feature save the app or is it beyond saving?

Lead image credit: Flickr Creative Commons

Daja Henry - Howard University

Daja Henry is a sophomore Media, Journalism, and Film Communications major at Howard University. She is a writer, lyric connoisseur, and lover of all cultures. You can follow her on Twitter @dajaeh97.