Display sigma phi epsilon
by Daja Henry

Purdue Fraternity Suspended Until 2020

By Daja Henry - Mar 25 2016

Members of The Purdue University chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon have until the end of this Spring semester to find housing. According to USA Today, the fraternity is being suspended and won't be eligible to return until the year 2020.

After investigation and deliberation, the chapter was suspended in accordance to counts of holding an unregistered party with minors in attendance while on social probation, hazing at said party, and an elaborate coverup of the events that occurred at the party.

Apparently, this is not the fraternity's first run-in with trouble. According to the campus publication, the Purdue Exponent, the chapter had been placed on probation in 2013. This probation was dealt because of many infractions, including making alcohol available to minors and taking lewd pictures with an inflatable sex toy. The big brothers of the fraternity gave underage new members "puke buckets" to encourage drinking. Also, the group used a text messaging system to sell prescription drugs. 

Initially, the Purdue Community Standards Board felt that the probation violation warranted a punishment that would leave them ineligible to ever return, but decided on a four year suspension, as detailed in a post on the fraternity's Facebook page.

Although these infractions may not seem as bizarre on a college campus, we are reminded to beware what we engage in. As freshmen, we may feel our new-found freedom tugging us every which way, but these are dangerous offenses and although we may be exposed to them daily, we are reminded of the consequences. 

Lead Image Credit: Flickr Creative Commons

Daja Henry - Howard University

Daja Henry is a sophomore Media, Journalism, and Film Communications major at Howard University. She is a writer, lyric connoisseur, and lover of all cultures. You can follow her on Twitter @dajaeh97.