by Daja Henry

High School Student Is Surprised With College Acceptance on the Today Show

By Daja Henry - Mar 31 2016

Tyra Riedemonn, a student at the East Harlem Young Women's Leadership Academy was on the Today Show with her peers and college counselor expecting to talk about the College Bound Initiative, a program designed to give students long-term college counseling. It is the program's fifteenth anniversary. However, Tyra was in for a surprise.

Anchor Al Roker approached Tyra and her classmates. He asked her about the initiative and then proceeded to ask her counselor if she had any news. When the counselor revealed that Tyra had been admitted to Gettysburg College in Pennsylvania, Roker pulled out a basket for Tyra. Watch the moment here.

Tyra gave a heartwarming response and even teared up a bit. If the acceptance wasn't cool enough, to top it all off, Tyra received a $60,000 annual scholarship (tuition and fees total $63,000). This was revealed in an off-air segment. Congrats to her on her path to her dream school!

Lead Image: Today

Daja Henry - Howard University

Daja Henry is a sophomore Media, Journalism, and Film Communications major at Howard University. She is a writer, lyric connoisseur, and lover of all cultures. You can follow her on Twitter @dajaeh97.