Display stanford
by Daja Henry

New York Times Column Tricks Readers Into Thinking Stanford Isn't Accepting a Freshman Class

By Daja Henry - Mar 31 2016

In a New York Times op-ed column, Frank Bruni led with this shocker: "Cementing its standing as the most selective institution of higher education in the country, Stanford University announced this week that it had once again received a record-setting number of applications and that its acceptance rate — which had dropped to a previously uncharted low of 5 percent last year — plummeted all the way to its inevitable conclusion of 0 percent."

Bruni was known not to agree with the college selection process. He has a book entitled "Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania," condemning the belief that highly selective colleges are the only way to go. Yet many people took his satirical piece seriously. The Huffington Post received six pitches from publicists of their reporters suggesting that they believed there would be no Stanford graduating class of 2020. Even USAA was fooled. 

He goes on to say that a Stanford official said that they saw not a single student they couldn't live without. "I didn’t see any gold medalists from the last Olympics — Summer or Winter Games — and while there was a 17-year-old who’d performed surgery, it wasn’t open-heart or a transplant or anything like that. She’ll thrive at Yale.”

While the article isn't true, it definitely provides a good laugh.

Lead Image Credit: Flickr Creative Commons

Daja Henry - Howard University

Daja Henry is a sophomore Media, Journalism, and Film Communications major at Howard University. She is a writer, lyric connoisseur, and lover of all cultures. You can follow her on Twitter @dajaeh97.