Display puppy
by Daja Henry

New Study Shows Dogs Help With Exam Stress

By Daja Henry - Mar 23 2016

Monday, a study was featured in the Wall Street Journal that claims dogs may help with exam stress. The study, done at Virginia Commonwealth University, shows that students felt significantly less anxious after interacting with therapy dogs. 

We all know exam week stress. This is the type of thing that makes zombies out of students. We walk around in sweatpants and mismatched outfits with bags the size of small moons under our eyes. We are sleep deprived machines, just trying to make it to the next exam. 

Obviously, this type of stress can not be good for anyone. This stress has been linked to depression, reduced immune function, lower sperm count and other physiological changes. Participants in VCU's study self-reported lower stress levels after interacting with therapy dogs for 15 minutes. 

However, this is not the first time the canine has proven to be man's best friend. Harvard's Medical School has a four year old shih tzu used for therapy. The medical school has cited research that proves pets have a positive impact on people's psychological well-being and self-esteem. Wall Street Journal has also featured colleges using dogs to alleviate homesickness. Dogs really are man's best friend.

Lead Image Credit: Flickr Creative Commons

Daja Henry - Howard University

Daja Henry is a sophomore Media, Journalism, and Film Communications major at Howard University. She is a writer, lyric connoisseur, and lover of all cultures. You can follow her on Twitter @dajaeh97.