Display lgbt
by Daja Henry

NCAA Will No Longer Host Tournament Events in Cities with Anti-LGBTQ Laws

By Daja Henry - May 03 2016

According to the Los Angeles Times, the NCAA  Board of Governors just voted to require cities to prove that they can provide a discrimination-free environment before allowing the cities to host NCAA tournament events. This decision comes on the heels of the controversy surrounding the anti-LGBT laws passed in North Carolina and the transgender bathroom debate.

The NCAA released a statement saying "The Association considers the promotion of inclusiveness in race, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity as a vital element to protecting the well-being of student-athletes, promoting diversity in hiring practices and creating a culture of fairness."

Kirk Shulz, chairman of the Board of Governors, told Los Angeles Times that it is important to assure the higher education community, one with a diverse mix of people from different racial, ethnic, religious and sexual orientation backgrounds, that they will be able to enjoy their NCAA experience without having to be concerned about discrimination. 

The NCAA, however, is not alone in taking a stand against anti-LGBT discrimination. Pop music stars Nick Jonas and Demi Lovato have cancelled shows in North Carolina due to the discriminatory laws passed there. 

Many organizations are also participating in a campaign called #NoHateInMyState. People in Tennessee and Missouri are also rallying against these discriminatory laws being passed in their states. 

Bonnaroo, a music festival in Tennesee also shared its disdain for discriminatory laws. 

Although it seems that the LGBT community is making strides with the all the objections to anti-LGBT laws, there's still a long way to go before these discriminatory laws can disappear forever. 

Lead Image Credit: LGBT, via Flickr Creative Commons

Daja Henry - Howard University

Daja Henry is a sophomore Media, Journalism, and Film Communications major at Howard University. She is a writer, lyric connoisseur, and lover of all cultures. You can follow her on Twitter @dajaeh97.