by Daja Henry

More and More College Students Are Turning to Sugar Daddies to Finance Education

By Daja Henry - Mar 30 2016

According to, more and more college students have found an alternative method for paying tuition. Of course there are the usual "unusual" stories like stripping, selling drugs, and whatnot. These students, though, are using sugar daddies to pay for college tuition.

Seeking Arrangement, the leading sugar daddy website, has launched a service connecting college students, which they call "sugar babies" with sugar daddies. They call it Sugar Baby University.

According to Seeking Arrangement, sugar daddies are a growing phenomenon in southern public colleges and private New York colleges. In 2012, they released a list of "Top 20 Fastest Growing Sugar Baby Schools," of which 50 percent were Southern schools. The list for 2015 is below. In 2013, approximately 44 percent of its 2.3 million users were in college. In fact the website offers users the chance to upgrade to a free premium membership if they register with a .edu email address.

The website advertises how beneficial these relationships are without mention of the details of this arrangement. According to attn, these relationships often include sex, which may be dangerous for the sugar babies. Tammy Castle, a professor at James Madison University, claimed that sugar babies are escorts, according to an article published by The Atlantic in 2014. However, the relationships are not always sexual in nature.

According to the same article by The Atlantic, older men join the website searching for women who "look intellectual," and will make them forget that the relationship is a transaction. They want girls to show off at business trips and accompany them to high end events.

With how fast the website is growing, the logic The Atlantic ends its article with is: "If so many college women are signing up for the site, it must be something different. It must be more socially acceptable somehow. It can’t really be prostitution."

Of all the interesting ways people have chosen to pay for college, this one takes the cake. 

Lead Image Credit: YouTube

Daja Henry - Howard University

Daja Henry is a sophomore Media, Journalism, and Film Communications major at Howard University. She is a writer, lyric connoisseur, and lover of all cultures. You can follow her on Twitter @dajaeh97.