Display homework
by Daja Henry

A New Study Says Most High School Seniors Aren't Ready For College

By Daja Henry - Apr 29 2016

According to a study featured on US News & World Report and NPR, a majority of the United States' high school seniors are not prepared for college. In fact, according to the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), also known as the Nation's Report Card, only one-third of high school seniors scored at a level of proficient or higher on the NAEP's test. 

It's no surprise that high school seniors aren't emotionally ready for college. The thought of adulting can be scary for many of us.

However, the Nation's Report Card speaks to the academic readiness of high school seniors in math and reading, among other subjects. According to the report, merely 25 percent of students scored proficient or higher in math and 37 percent scored proficient or higher in reading. 

As if these results are not alarming enough, another statistic drawn from the test was really shocking. There are huge, continuously growing gaps between the higher and lower ends of the spectrum. The higher scoring students are scoring increasingly higher and the lower scoring students are scoring increasingly lower. 

Also, there are gaps between races, and among students whose parents have different backgrounds. For example, while 32 percent of white students scored proficient or higher in math, only 7 percent of black students did. 

However, there is also a statistic that doesn't add up. Although only 37 percent of high school seniors seem to be college ready, the nationwide graduation rate in 2015 was 82 percent. This calls into question the legitimacy of America's school systems. It seems as if there are plenty opportunities for that remaining 45 percent of students to slip through the cracks. 

With such condemning statistics, it seems the future of education in America is dwindling as the disparities seem to be increasing.

Lead Image Credit: Homework, Flickr Creative Commons

Daja Henry - Howard University

Daja Henry is a sophomore Media, Journalism, and Film Communications major at Howard University. She is a writer, lyric connoisseur, and lover of all cultures. You can follow her on Twitter @dajaeh97.