Display 3481555455 2c8d513c2b o
by Daja Henry

Facebook Donates $250,000 To Minority Students

By Daja Henry - Apr 13 2016
An article posted on USA Today says that in efforts to diversify the technology industry, Facebook has donated $250,000 to fund 20 minority or women students' studies at Dev Bootcamp. Dev Bootcamp is a San Francisco program that teaches coding. 

Like most of the tech industry located in the Silicon Valley, Facebook has a low representation of minorities and women working for them. Of their technical employees, 84 percent were male. 51 percent of employees are white, 43 percent Asian, 3 percent Hispanic, and a measly 1 percent are African-American. 

This realization, along with Zuckerberg's donation, comes in anticipation of Facebook's f8 developer conference, currently taking place in San Francisco, in which new technology is introduced. Zuckerberg's goal is to increase the amount of minorities and women in attendance. This year, of the f8 attendees who chose to disclose, 23.8% self-identified as women and 13.7% self-identified as under-represented ethnicities in tech, USA Today reports.

For Dev Bootcamp, this means an increase in minority and woman enrollment. "Facebook’s generous donation makes a real impact on Dev Bootcamp’s goal to achieve proportional representation of the U.S. population with our student base of women and minorities," Tarlin Ray, Dev Bootcamp's vice president, told USA Today. The scholarship program is open to California residents who identify as underrepresented minorities or women. One of Facebook's own employees, Media Solutions Partner Engineer Laura Mead, participated in Dev Bootcamp.

She is excited for many people who would not have gotten the chance to learn to code to have this experience available to them. Who knows the possibilities that lie dormant in the minds of minority/women students who never had a chance to unlock them?

Lead Image Credit: Flickr Creative Commons

Daja Henry - Howard University

Daja Henry is a sophomore Media, Journalism, and Film Communications major at Howard University. She is a writer, lyric connoisseur, and lover of all cultures. You can follow her on Twitter @dajaeh97.