by Daja Henry

This University Is the Latest College to Add Nap Pods to Its Campus

By Daja Henry - Mar 11 2016

Don't you miss nap time? In an article posted Monday, USA Today reveals that the University of Miami recently joined a growing list of colleges encouraging students to take naps. Schools all across the country are implementing "Nap Nooks" (James Madison University) and REST Zones (UC-Berkeley) ranging from cots to areas with beanbags.

However, the University of Miami has opted for a more high tech option. They provide a nap pod from MetroNap that has features to aid in your napping, like vibration, a privacy visor, and music.

These pods may seem familiar because they have been featured in Google offices. They are also available in a few other schools including Wesleyan University and University of San Francisco Carnegie Mellon.

Flickr Creative Commons

Google, as well as universities across the nation are beginning to realize the important effects of naps on students' well-being. Many college students pull the infamous "all-nighter" without knowing the consequences. A study by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine compares sleep deprivation to binge drinking and marijuana usage.

In another article published by USA Today, research shows that a quick nap "restores alertness, enhances performance, and reduces mistakes and accidents." Ishtpreet Singh, vice president of University of Miami's student government, told USA Today that "even 20 minutes (of sleep) can provide additional stamina."

Now, if only we could get St. Patrick's Day off...

Lead image credit: Flickr Creative Commons

Daja Henry - Howard University

Daja Henry is a sophomore Media, Journalism, and Film Communications major at Howard University. She is a writer, lyric connoisseur, and lover of all cultures. You can follow her on Twitter @dajaeh97.