Display costco
by Daja Henry

Amazing Application Essay About Costco Gets Student Admitted to Five Ivy Leagues

By Daja Henry - Apr 09 2016

According to NBC News, Brittany Stinson, a senior in high school wrote her college admittance essay on a very unconventional topic. Stinson wrote about "the kingdom of Costco." Surprisingly, this essay got her admitted into five Ivy League schools and Stanford, which has an acceptance rate of 4.9 percent. 

Courtesy of the Stinson family, via NBC News

Stinson told NBC News that writing about Costco felt natural, as going there had been a major part of her childhood. She compares the things she sampled in Costco to the activities she sampled in life. She gives Costco credit for "giving birth to her unfettered curiosity." She pondered questions such as, "was cultured yogurt any more well­-mannered than its uncultured counterpart?," and goes on to compare everyday items to deeper problems. "If there exists a thirty-­three ounce jar of Nutella, do we really have free will?"

Her main reason for writing about "the apex of consumerism," however, was to make herself stand out. She told NBC News that she, "could not afford to go the traditional route." Her teachers and parents recognized that she was an exceptional student, citing her "fortitude and tenacity," but Stinson felt that that was not enough to distinguish her from the large pool of students with similar grades, extracurricular activities, and SAT scores. She told NBC, "I knew that writing about my experiences at Costco would at least make for a memorable essay, whether [admissions committees] loved or hated it." This could be considered a risk well taken.

Read her incredible essay in its entirety here.

Lead image Credit: Flickr Creative Commons

Daja Henry - Howard University

Daja Henry is a sophomore Media, Journalism, and Film Communications major at Howard University. She is a writer, lyric connoisseur, and lover of all cultures. You can follow her on Twitter @dajaeh97.