Have you ever found yourself tired by noon? Or worse, feeling like you need to take a nap the moment you've woken up? College students and young adults in general claim to be tired all the time, but lack of sleep may not be the only cause of this lack of energy.

Sleeping less can occasionally be the case, but usually there is an underlying health issue that causes daytime feelings of fatigue. Featured below are a few health problems that may contribute to exhaustion.

1. Dehydration

We're told countless times to drink enough water, but how many of us actually adhere to this healthy practice? It can be easy to substitute water for beverages like soda and juice, but this habit will eventually catch up to our bodies. To easily increase your water intake and make drinking water more enjoyable, try adding lemon and other fruits to your water bottles. At restaurants, request a glass of water and save yourself the physical and physiological cost of ordering a drink.

2. Living a Sedentary Lifestyle

Due to the highly digitized and modern society we live in today, we may find ourselves sitting behind a desk or on the couch for long periods of time. Our bodies were made to move and this lack of exercise causes headaches, stiffness, sluggishness and of course, fatigue. We need movement in order to balance and regulate body-loving hormones and to fight off energy loss.

3. Poor Quality Sleep

There is a range of reasons why you may not be sleeping long enough or well, a few being poor diet, stress and staying up too late. While it may be obvious that you need more sleep in order to feel like you're not always tired, it should be known that just a small amount of sleep deprivation over time can really add up and harm your health and overall mood. 

To help you sleep for seven to nine hours each night, try relaxation techniques including reading or journaling, reducing your caffeine intake and shutting off your devices at least two hours before bedtime.

4. Depression

With an estimated 16 million young adults ages 18 or older having at least one major depressive episode per year, depression is proven to be one of the most common mental disorders and energy zappers in the U.S. Luckily, changes in diet can help alleviate symptoms of depression and increase energy and motivation. 

A few natural treatments include drastically reducing processed and refined food intake, replacing these energy-busting foods with proteins, vegetables, healthy fats like omega-3 fatty acids and incorporating essential oils into your daily routine.

5. Emotional Stress/Anxiety

College students and adults alike are often stressed to the point of exhaustion, as this is the case for many. This is because the stress progresses over time to the point of an anxiety disorder or a sleep-related problem. To combat emotional stress and feel less groggy, focus on altering your diet, avoiding stimulants and taking probiotics.

6. Anemia

Anemia, also known as iron deficiency, is a condition in which a person has a red blood cell or hemoglobin deficiency in their blood. Those with anemia don't receive enough oxygen-rich blood in their bodies, resulting in weakness. Fatigue, difficulty in concentration and lack of energy are a few symptoms of this condition. If you feel that you may have anemia or are experiencing any related symptoms, consult your doctor immediately.

7. Sleep Debt

It is a fact that humans cannot live without sleep. Sleep debt occurs when you don't get enough sleep for days, weeks or months on end, and this can have a negative impact on your health. You can never make up sleep, but certain lifestyle changes can help your body feel rested again. To fix this, try sleeping in a few extra hours during the weekend or even going to bed earlier at night.

Ultimately, if you're feeling tired throughout the day, ensure that you're prioritizing sleep and getting at least seven to eight hours a night. Don't forget to limit your internet usage in the early morning and late night as well; your work, Google and Instagram will still be there when you arise!