by Ciara Freeman

7 Best-Selling Books to Read This Summer

By Ciara Freeman - Jun 22 2017

What better way to enrich your summer with new experiences than cracking open a new bestselling book? With time off from classes and studying, summer is the perfect time to begin a new adventure through reading! Books shape our viewpoints by transporting us out of the present and into a new world of possibilities. A few of the following hits have ended up on Barnes & Noble's "Top 100 Book Bestsellers 2017" list and should make their way onto your doorstep next this summer!

1. "Everything, Everything" by Nicola Yoon

Amazon

In short, this outstanding book tells the story of Maddy, a girl who becomes vulnerable to the outside world but decides to take a major risk when her new neighbor moves in next door. Nicola Yoon's #1 New York Times bestseller has been made into a major motion picture starring Amandla Stenberg as Maddy and Nick Robinson as Olly.

2. "How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and His Adopted Dog Decode the Canine Brain" by Gregory Berns

Amazon

We're all aware of the phrase "man's best friend," but this novel delves deeper into the relationship between human and canine. This book appeals to the scientific portion of our brain by using an MRI machine to scan and study a dog's brain in order to answer the popular question, "What is my dog thinking?"

3. "Behind Closed Doors" by B.A. Paris

Goodreads

With the tagline, "The perfect marriage? Or the perfect lie?" I couldn't place this psychological thriller down from the moment I opened it! "Behind Closed Doors," tells the tale of a seemingly perfect newlywed couple that seem to have it all from the outside looking in, but remain shady the moment everyone leaves their home. What's really going on inside when their doors close?

4. "Milk and Honey" by Rupi Kaur

Barnes & Noble

Kaur's book of heart-wrenching poems and prose earned itself number ten on the list of Barnes & Noble's Top 100 Book Bestseller's list. This bestseller deals with difficult topics such as violence, loss and abuse, while also covering more passionate ones like love and femininity. Divided into only four chapters each dealing with a different topic, Kaur takes readers on a journey of the ups and downs of her life.

5. "The Better Angels of Our Nature" by Steven Pinker

Amazon
“If I could give each of you a graduation present, it would be this — the most inspiring book I've ever read." — Bill Gates (May 2017)

A favorite of Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist Bill Gates, this read discusses the essence of our human nature in connection with our inherent violence over the course of history. Pinker uses insightful psychological and historical concepts to debunk myths about war, crime, terrorism and violence.

6. "Modern Romance" by Aziz Ansari

Aziz Ansari

“Why did this guy just text me an emoji of a pizza?” A terrific light read, comedian Aziz Ansari's book touches on romance in the digital era, and how courtship and love has evolved over the years. He worked on this project with several social scientists and NYU sociologist Eric Klinenberg. Together, they conducted hundreds of interviews and focus groups around the world, from Tokyo to Buenos Aires. They then analyzed their results and the findings regarding making an authentic connection in today's society were eye-opening.

7. "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr

Amazon

Pulitzer Prize winner "All the Light We Cannot See" is bound to transport its readers into the land of Germany during its recovery from World War II.  A young, blind French girl and German boy cross paths during the aftermath, and the rest is history.

These tales deserve their recognition for their boundless beauty, profound nature, and remarkable credibility. Take a break this summer and be sure to check out these good reads!

Lead Image Credit: Unsplash via Pexels

Ciara Freeman - Loyola Marymount University

Ciara Freeman is a Staff Writer/Campus News Correspondent and sophomore at Loyola Marymount University pursuing a major in Communication Studies and a minor in Journalism. She is a passionate student, world traveler, global citizen and foodie. In her free time, she enjoys hiking, acting and practicing yoga. Follow her on Instagram: @ciarafreeman_!