by Ciara Freeman

10 Places to Visit in the Westchester/Culver City Area

By Ciara Freeman - Sep 02 2016

If you ever find your way to the Culver City or Westchester Southern California area, these are the must-go places to stop by. Whether you're a hiking fanatic, shopping addict, avid reader or competitive athlete, there is a place for you! The best part of all: most of these locations are free to visit!

1. Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook

Giphy

With one of the best steep hiking trails perfect for exercise, the Baldwin Hills scenic overlook offers phenomenal views and quality picture taking opportunities. It provides a clear view of the Los Angeles Basin, the Pacific Ocean and surrounding mountains.

2. Westfield Culver City

Giphy

In need of an updated SoCal wardrobe? Visit the Westfield shopping center for major retailers, great food and instant shopping relief. Westfield Culver City features popular stores such as Express, Target, Forever 21, Adidas, H&M, Nordstrom Rack and Victoria's Secret PINK. Some of the restaurant chains featured include Panda Express, Olive Garden, Jamba Juice, Which Wich, Starbucks and Chipotle.

3. Sony Pictures Film Studio

Giphy

Ever wondered what's inside those magical gates? Take a tour of the Sony Pictures Studio! The tour lasts for a duration of 2 hours packed with information about game shows like "Jeopardy!" and "Wheel of Fortune;" historic stages, characters and attractions like the "Breaking Bad" RV. For info, call (310) 244-8687. Tours run Monday through Friday, with reservations recommended.

4. Culver City Symphony Orchestra
Giphy

If you're interested in classical music, the Culver City Symphony Orchestra may be the place for you! All concerts are have free admission. Feel free to bring a picnic, blanket and chair to relax and listen to the melodies along the Marina del Rey coast.

5. Farmers Market

Giphy

Stock up on fresh fruits, vegetables and other local items at the Culver City Farmer's Market. The market is open every Tuesday on downtown Main Street from 2:00 to 7:00 pm.

6. Free City Hall Summer Concerts

Giphy

If you're in the mood for chilling with a friend, why not take a trip to a free concert? The Culver City Hall summer concerts are of no cost and its shows will continue into September. The next upcoming shows can be found on socalsummerconcerts.com. Its location is 9770 Culver Blvd. All doors open at 7:30 pm, showtime is at 8:00 pm.

7. La Dijonaise

Giphy

Looking for some culture? Try La Dijonaise on Washington Blvd. for authentic French cuisine including escargot, crevettes, moules, crepes, entrecote, croissants, poulet and more!

8. Archery Classes at Los Angeles Archery

Giphy

Become the next Merida, Katniss Everdeen or Hawkeye! Take archery lessons at Los Angeles Archery and develop a new passion and interesting talent to show off.

9. Fencing Classes at Beverly Hills Fencers Club (in Culver City!)

Giphy

The Beverly Hills Fencers Club located in Culver City offers free introductory fencing classes. There is even loaner equipment available for beginners. Take a class from Monday-Friday from 4:30 PM to 9:30 PM or Saturday-Sunday from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

10. Julian Dixon Culver City Library

Giphy

For an extra study room and last minute exam prep space visit the Culver City library on Overland Avenue. Here, live homework help, computer access and special events are offered. The library was even rated as the number one best library in Culver City, according to Yelp.com.

Lead Image Credit: Unsplash.com

Ciara Freeman - Loyola Marymount University

Ciara Freeman is a Staff Writer/Campus News Correspondent and sophomore at Loyola Marymount University pursuing a major in Communication Studies and a minor in Journalism. She is a passionate student, world traveler, global citizen and foodie. In her free time, she enjoys hiking, acting and practicing yoga. Follow her on Instagram: @ciarafreeman_!