by Chloe Mathieu

To the Freshman Who's Looking For An Internship This Summer

By Chloe Mathieu - Apr 15 2017

Dear Freshman Who's Looking For An Internship This Summer, 

Hi! I’m a freshman too, and I’d like to let you in on a secret; I don’t know what to do this upcoming summer. I really have no concrete plan. Sure, I have some ideas. I’ve applied to a few jobs and one or two internships in my hometown. Truthfully though, I couldn’t tell you what I’m going to be doing in a month and a half. I’m here to talk to you about what I’ve observed from my peers when it comes to dealing with this important issue and relay some important advice.

First things first, be fearless. If you plan on applying for internships, don’t worry about getting rejected. Every single internship you apply for could reject you, but at least then you know you gave it a shot. The saying “You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take" is cliché for a reason; it’s undeniably true! Yes, save for a few exceptions, most companies prefer interns with more experience than a rising sophomore can offer. However, if you’re lucky you might apply to one of those exceptions and land an internship right out of the gate. If you’re not as fortunate, don’t worry. Seriously, I mean that. There seems to be enormous pressure on college freshmen to get incredible and enviable internships at the companies of their dreams. Realistically, this probably won’t happen so early in your college career.

This brings me to my second point. If you ask a friend what their plans for summer break are, the odds of them telling you that they’re going to be working at a local ice cream shop are slim. Even if it’s true, they’ll most likely sprinkle in the fact that they also applied to an internship in New York City or Chicago or Philadelphia. I’m guilty of doing this myself!

Why is that? We should be allowed one more summer to relax and work at home. The summer after your freshman year is really the last opportunity you might have to spend a summer with your high school friends. Social pressures regarding illustrious internships almost seem to shame those of us without one lined up. Don’t let yourself feel guilty for living at home and working at the local Wawa (or Sheetz, for those readers who aren’t fortunate enough to be blessed with Wawa). You’re hopefully happy, you’re making money and you get to live with your family. That sounds like a great summer plan if I’ve ever heard one.

Don’t be ashamed of working that job in your hometown this summer. Don’t worry about not having an internship at NBC like Jake from your Spanish class does. The opportunities we have in front of us as rising sophomores are tremendous, and we’ll have every chance in the world to get phenomenal internships. If you already have one lined up, I commend you. Achieving that is impressive and deserves a huge shout-out! If you don’t have an internship lined up this summer or if you don’t have any plans at all lined up yet this summer, don’t stress. Trust me, everything’s going to work out just fine.

Love,

Chloe

Lead Image Credit: Sai Kiran Anagani via Unsplash

Chloe Mathieu - Syracuse University

Chloe is a sophomore at Syracuse University studying Television, Radio, and Film. She loves theater and singing, and is only the slightest bit (i.e. extremely) obsessed with showtunes. She believes that any problem can be remedied by great book and a hot cup of tea. Follow Chloe on twitter @chloeinprogress.