Display lead image
by Catherine Cheng

A Guide to 'Business' Dress Codes

By Catherine Cheng - Sep 28 2016

Now that you're in college, chances are you'll be attending a lot more formal events. For example, you might have an interview scheduled for Monday, a recruiting dinner on Wednesday and a company field trip the coming weekend. These events typically have specified dress codes and if you're left confused by terms like business casual, bookmark this article now. Here's your guide to looking spiffy for all business dress codes.

1. Business Professional

Business professional will be the go-to for most of your interviews and recruiting events. Many universities will require their students to attend important events such as career expos in suits so make sure you're prepared to avoid being caught off-guard.

Here's how to accomplish the look:

Catherine Cheng
2. Business Casual

Business casual is more laid-back and will be the attire you put on for ceremonies, business socials or interviews at more laid-back companies such as tech companies or start-ups. You may also be dressing up in business casual outfits for dinners or other similar outings.

Here's how to accomplish the look:

Catherine Cheng

3. Smart Casual

Smart casual (sometimes also referred to as snappy casual or dressy casual) is a hard category to master. Some things are too casual and some things are too dressy. You'll need to get it right though, because this will be the dress code for a large number of social events, infomation sessions and company talks.

Here's how to accomplish the look:

Catherine Cheng

At the end of the day though, don't fret it too much. Styles and customs are always changing. Ask a friend or a mentor for their opinion if you aren't sure about what to wear and never forget to worry less and enjoy your experiance as a young professional!

Lead Image Credit: Olu Eletu via Unsplash

Catherine Cheng - The University of Texas at Austin

Catherine Cheng is a freshman at the University of Texas – Austin majoring in Business and hopefully picking up a certificate in Computer Science. She enjoys casually binge watching TV shows, drinking iced tea, and overusing Sriracha. In her free time, she can be found writing prose and musing about contemporary poetry books.