Display pot kitchen cutlery bees
by Catherine Cheng

9 Easy DIY Face Masks You Can Make in Your Dorm

By Catherine Cheng - Nov 27 2016

Sheet masks can be too expensive for the budget of a college student. Here are some easy recipes for dorm room face masks using ingredients you probably already have in your fridge.

Note: For all of these masks you'll want to blend the ingredients well and apply to your face in a thin layer. Leave the mask on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing your face with warm water. Avoid any ingredients you may allergic to.

1. Avocado

Mix 1/2 an avocado with 1 teaspoon of plain yogurt and 1 teaspoon of honey for a moisturizing mask best used for those days when homework leaves you stressed, dry and breaking out.

2. Egg Whites

Mix 1 egg white with 1 teaspoon of orange juice to tighten your pores and leave your skin feeling healthier and stronger with increased doses of vitamin C. 

3. Honey and Cinnamon

Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and juice from 1 wedge of lemon to reduce inflammation and exfoliate your skin. Message your skin gently to get the most out of the experience. 

4. Bananas

Use a mashed up banana or mix it with 2 tablespoons of honey and 1/4 cut of plain yogurt if you're feeling extra to create a moisturizing mask that leaves your skin soft and fresh.

5. Oatmeal

Cook 1/2 cup of oatmeal and let it settle. After it has cooled, mix it with 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons of honey, and 1 egg white for a perfect spa treatment.

6. Mayonnaise

An ingredient for those who feel adventurous, spread whole-egg mayonnaise from the fridge on your skin for clean and smooth feeling skin.

7. Egg

Beat a whole egg and add honey if desired for a moisturizing formula for those with normal and dry skin.

8. Strawberries

Mash 1/4 cup of strawberries up and add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 table spoon of plain yogurt and 1 tablespoon of honey to make a smoothie mask that reduces acne, removes dead skin cells and tightens pores.

9. Citrus and Honey

Combine 3 tablespoons of orange juice with 1/2 cup of honey to give your skin a healthy glow attributed to golden honey and orange vitamin C.

The whole process of doing DIY mask can be a little messy so be sure to clean up afterwards, but the fun and skin relaxing is well worth it. Have a few friends join the party and make "spa night" a weekly indulgence.

Catherine Cheng - The University of Texas at Austin

Catherine Cheng is a freshman at the University of Texas – Austin majoring in Business and hopefully picking up a certificate in Computer Science. She enjoys casually binge watching TV shows, drinking iced tea, and overusing Sriracha. In her free time, she can be found writing prose and musing about contemporary poetry books.