Display eae0a1da  1
by Catherine Cheng

7 Types of Friends to Have in College

By Catherine Cheng - Nov 20 2016

College is the prime time to make new friends and establish meaningful relationships. Regardless of whether you enjoy having one really, really close friend or plenty of close confidants, there are some friend types that are always great to have. Here are seven of them.

1. The Joker

College is hard. Between the tests, late night cram sessions and essays, you're going to have days that are just down right depressing. For times like this, find a friend who can always make you smile. You'll need company to make it through.

2. The Deep One

Despite all the laughs, college is a time of growth. As you deal with adulting, making decisions for yourself and dealing with life, you're going to want to ask for the opinions of others and gush about your life. In times like this, look for your serious friend who will always listen to you and offer you their honest opinion.

3. The Political One

You will meet so many people who care about the world during college. Befriend them and engage them in conversations. You will learn so much about so many different subjects. 

4. The Realist

With dreams and aspirations floating on everyone's lips, college can leave you feeling dreamy. Coming back down to the ground can be difficult and sometimes you just need a friend to remind you studying is still a thing.

5. The Passionate

College is the best time to meet people with similar interests as you. When no one else understands why you're so passionate about underwater basket weaving, this friend is your go to. You can gush to them about literally anything because they're equally as obsessed as you.

6.  The Backbone

This friend will be there for you whenever you need them. They're there for you when you cry and they're the first one you text when you're passing out at a party. They care about you like no other and you can't imagine life without them.

7. The One Back Home

At the end of the day, college does not erase the precious memories of your past. As a result, keep in touch with your close high school friends. You'll be thankful for them when nothing is going right and you're suffering from homesickness and nostalgia. 

At the end of the day, meet people who care about you and care about people you meet. The relationships you establish now can become the relationships you value most later on in life.

Lead Image Credit: Jordan McQueen via Unsplash

Catherine Cheng - The University of Texas at Austin

Catherine Cheng is a freshman at the University of Texas – Austin majoring in Business and hopefully picking up a certificate in Computer Science. She enjoys casually binge watching TV shows, drinking iced tea, and overusing Sriracha. In her free time, she can be found writing prose and musing about contemporary poetry books.