Display lead image
by Catherine Cheng

10 Phone Calls to Home You’ll Definitely Make

By Catherine Cheng - Oct 07 2016

Calling home might seem like the last thing you want to do. It's certainly not "cool" or "hip" to be the one crying to those back home, but honestly, it's going to happen. College can be fun and tough and fantastic and horrible all at the same time, so there's a good chance you'll want someone to talk to. Here are a few calls you'll definitely make over the course of your college career.

1. "I'm sick and my nose won't stop running. WHICH DRUG DO I TAKE?"

Nothing solves a cold better than Mom and Dad's advice on good food, medicine and rest. When you're feeling weak and the flu has you down, you'll miss home and the comfort of your own bed for sure.

2. "How is Fluffy doing? Does he miss me?!!!"

Let's be real, you miss your darling puppy/kitty/fish and you want to be reassured that they're not replacing you with your snotty sibling. Surely they miss you as much as you miss them.

3. "I swear I found hair in my salad today. Can you ship leftovers ASAP?"

Dorm food can get repetitive really quickly. Even if you didn't like your parents' cooking when you were in high school, you'll miss it in college. Stocking up on homemade food is key.

4. "Uh...so I might have exceeded my balance. Forgive me. Don't kill me. K, bye."

If your parents are still paying for your expenses, you're going to feel extremely guilty when you overspend. Owning up to your absurd budget will end up being super daunting and a phone call you dread making.

5. "I failed my first test."

Chances are there will be at least one class that doesn't come naturally to you. When you get your first failing grade, you might find yourself breaking down mentally. That's your cue to call home.

6. "When's Thanksgiving break? Do you miss me yet?"

Being so far away from home might leave you feeling isolated from your parents. You might wonder if they even care about you anymore. The occasional affirmation is always great.

7. "I SWEAR MY ROOMMATE DOESN'T SHOWER."

Whether you're rooming with your best friend or someone random, living so close with someone will bring about at least a few minor conflicts. Ranting will be your way of venting.

8. "Everyone else has an internship and I'm just a bum. Can I just drop-out?"

You're no longer the big fish in the pond and it can feel like all of your peers are smarter than you. Every once in a while you just need a pep talk.

9. "So I met this __________."

When you meet someone who just clicks with you, when you think they are your potential soulmate and the love of your life, you'll want to brag. Do it. Love and being proud of someone else can make you extremely happy.

10. "I miss y'all."

Once every now and then, you'll have a day when you just miss home. It's okay to have these days and it's okay to call home when you have them.

In the end, don't be afraid of checking in. Your people back home miss you and sometimes you'll miss them too. Never forget they're there to listen when you need some support or company.

Lead Image Credit: Pavan Trikutam via Unsplash

Catherine Cheng - The University of Texas at Austin

Catherine Cheng is a freshman at the University of Texas – Austin majoring in Business and hopefully picking up a certificate in Computer Science. She enjoys casually binge watching TV shows, drinking iced tea, and overusing Sriracha. In her free time, she can be found writing prose and musing about contemporary poetry books.