Display vlad tchompalov 219130
by Caroline Mulvaney

College Students Share Why They Participated in the Women's March

By Caroline Mulvaney - Jan 24 2018

On Saturday, thousands of people showed up at the Reflecting Pool in Washington, D.C. for the second annual Women's March. Though the main event took place in Las Vegas, the crowd was full of the March's signature pink hat and signs calling for equality and change from President Trump. The event had several notable speakers, including the head of Planned Parenthood Cecile Richards, feminist writer Gloria Steinem and actress and activist Scarlet Johansson. 

Photo Credit: Caroline Mulvaney

Everyone who showed up to the event was there for a reason, including the college students who were present. We asked them why they were marching. The responses ranged from speaking about equality to human rights to dissent with the current administration. Here are just a few of the answers to the question "Why are you marching today?"

Anonymous, American University

"I guess just to come out and support something that I believe in. I would consider myself a Democrat, and I think the current administration isn't really handling things correctly, so I'd like to come out and support that." 

Image Credit: Unsplash

Sammie, Georgetown University

"I am marching because I marched last year and thought that things were going to change and then they didn't, so a year later we're still here, and I think that women need more rights and more equality. I think that the world is going the wrong way." 

John, Georgetown University

"I'm marching because I think that all human beings should be out here marching today. The Women's March is one of the most important events in the last two years and the Women's Rights Movement, the rejuvenation of it, is something that everyone should be standing up for because women's rights are human rights and until we have human rights for everyone we shouldn't call ourselves land of the free and home of the brave...honestly, America should be a land where everyone is equal. Until women have equal reproductive rights and equal pay, that won't be the case." 

Image Credit: Unsplash

Faye, American University

"I'm marching today because I'm a woman and I want rights. I think that's something that's important and I've been really inspired by female role models that I've had in my life and I think that it is my responsibility to fight for that and to fight for myself and to fight for women." 

Hailey, American University

"I'm marching because I don't think that the government currently protects my rights and I don't want future women to feel the same way that I felt when Donald Trump was elected." 

Image Credit: Unsplash

Of course, D.C. wasn't the only place to host a Women's March. People marched all over the country. One of the cities that held a demonstration was Boston, and there were more college students there who also had their reasons for marching.

Sruthi, Yssac, Angelina, Kushali, Amisha, and Manjot from Northeastern University

"We're marching for gender equality and against our current political restrictions."

College students are the next generation of our country. These responses, and the mere presence of thousands of college students at the march, should serve as an indicator for the kinds of things that we will stand for when we become the people in charge of the country. It shows that there is change coming on the horizon, as long as we have young men and women who are passionate about what they believe in and are willing to work towards a country that has equality and representation for all people. 

Image Credit: Unsplash

Caroline Mulvaney - Georgetown University