by Caroline Mulvaney

7 Places to Study In Washington, D.C. That You Never Thought Of

By Caroline Mulvaney - Sep 18 2017

As college students, we all have too much work to do. I'm talking hours upon hours of staring at textbooks and reworking the same problems over and over again until our brains feel like mush. However, just because we have to suffer through the work doesn't mean we have to do it in the same place every time. For those desperate college students in Washington, D.C., here are some places you can go to escape the monotony of your campus library and maybe even feel more productive. 

1. Kogod Courtyard in the National Portrait Gallery.

Wikimedia Commons

This courtyard is honestly gorgeous, with lots of natural light coming in through the glass roof and soothing noises from the fountains on the floor. It's also surprisingly quiet even when it's crowded. For some reason, everyone whispers when they step into the space. There are a lot of interesting exhibits and pieces of art for you to look at when you get bored of finishing your biology homework. 

2. Peet's Coffee on M Street.

Wikimedia Commons

Coffee, chill music, a great view – what more could you ask for in a study space? This coffee shop is two stories, and the entire upstairs is taken up by a giant table to study on and lots of comfy chairs. I've spent many an hour in there. If you get the Peet's Rewards app and scan it every time you get a coffee, you can work your way up to a free coffee and other rewards. 

3. The Roof of the Kennedy Center.

Wikimedia Commons

The Kennedy Center is a well-known building throughout D.C., but what a lot of people don't know is that you can get onto the roof anytime that the center is open, for free. There are picnic tables for you to sit at and enjoy one of the best views of D.C. and the Potomac that you will ever encounter. It's also usually pretty empty since most of the crowds stick to the theaters inside. 

4. The Library of Congress

Wikimedia Commons

You're in D.C., so take advantage of all the historic buildings we have around us! The Library of Congress has the Main Reading Room that's open to everyone aged sixteen and up. All you have to do is go in and get registered for a library card, and you're set. They also have tons of books and resources for you to use if you need to do any research. Tip: there's a metro station in the basement of the library, which makes it especially easy to get there. 

5. Lincoln Park on Capitol Hill

Wikimedia Commons

D.C. has lots of different parks and nature spaces for you to check out, but Lincoln Park is probably the most central. It has plenty of lawn space for you to spread out on a blanket and get that reading done. It's central location also makes it a great place to take frequent snack breaks at one of the restaurants, food trucks or snack carts that surround it. Some other parks to explore are Rock Creek Park, the Constitution Gardens and The U.S. National Arboretum. 

6. Busboys and Poets

Wikimedia Commons

This place is a hodgepodge of everything that is great in the world. It's a bookstore, a coffee shop, a lounge and a theater. They have coffee and pastries for you to enjoy while you study in one of the many comfy chairs, or full meals if you're hungrier. Plus, it's named after Langston Hughes and has lots of quotes and lines from literature and poetry written on the walls to inspire you. 

7. The Potter's House

A combination cafe and bookstore, The Potter's House has that quaint feel to it that will get you in the perfect mood to write the next Great American Novel or maybe just that essay you have due in a few days. I would personally suggest their latte. As a coffee addict, you can believe me when I say it's the best I've ever had. 

So go out and explore the city, because it has hundreds of nooks and crannies that could become your go-to study spot. Just remember the three C's: coffee, coziness and coolness factor. Because did you really find a cool place to study if you can't brag to your friends about how cool it is?

Lead Image Credit: Jorge Alcala via Unsplash

Caroline Mulvaney - Georgetown University