Display sebas ribas 310260
by Caroline Mulvaney

10 Acronyms Every Georgetown University Student Needs to Know

By Caroline Mulvaney - Dec 18 2017

Georgetown is infamous amongst its students for the insane number of acronyms we have floating around campus. They describe everything from clubs to buildings to the different schools within the university. All in all, you have to know them if you expect to understand what's going on around campus. Here are the top 10 that will be most necessary to your life as a Hoya.

1. GERMS

Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Service is a student-run, student-staffed EMS service that handles any medical emergencies around campus and the surrounding area. They're mostly used to help out students who have had a bit too much to drink, but they also take care of everything from broken bones to concussions.

2. GUTS

Georgetown University Transportation Services is a general term for transportation provided by the university, but it mostly includes the four buses that run to Arlington, Dupont, Rosslyn and the Law School during the week. Pro Tip: take advantage of free transportation. 

3. VCW/VCE

Village C West and Village C East are two dormitories on campus. VCW is freshmen only, but they're right next to each other, so try not to get confused. 

4. ICC

The Intercultural Center is the weird red-brick building that houses most of the language and economics classes. But be warned, it's an absolute maze. You enter in on the third floor, all the hallways connect in a really strange way and everything looks the same. Good luck navigating! 

5. HFSC

The Healy Family Student Center (or HealFam, to some) is one of the most popular hangouts/study spots on campus. It's located right across the street from the cafeteria and has a gorgeous view out onto the Potomac. It's also connected to the New South dormitory, so make sure not to go in the wrong door.

6. GUGS

Georgetown University Grilling Society is one of the most popular clubs on campus. They meet on a weekly basis to grill ball-shaped hamburgers on the front lawn, and they're free if you're in the club. If not, you can buy a burger for $5. 

7. GSP

The Georgetown Scholarship Program is a great program that focuses on first-generation college students and students receiving financial aid. They have lots of workshops and functions that are open to everyone, and the people involved in it are like family.

8. CMEA

The Center for Multicultural Equity and Access has a lot of useful resources, for all students. You can borrow free textbooks, get a printing card for $25 a semester or just hang out and chat with the staff. Like GSP, they have lots of events and fundraisers. 

9. GUAFSCU

Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union may be one of the biggest mouthfuls on this list, but it's one you'll hear a lot. GUAFSCU is a very high-profile club on campus, and if you want to start your own account with them, it's a really easy process. 

10. GMS

The Georgetown Management System will become your life if you decide to get a job at Georgetown. It's where you log your hours, file your employment paperwork and see your payslips. Surprisingly, it's very aesthetically pleasing and easy to use.

There are a lot of other acronyms that couldn't be fit on this list (SFS, MSB, GUPD, NHS) but everything becomes so much simpler once you're on campus and everyone is speaking the same abbreviated language. Don't worry, it's very easy to get the hang of. We wouldn't be GU without our acronyms. 

Caroline Mulvaney - Georgetown University