Display parks recyay
by Carlie Coons

6 Shows That Will Satisfy Your Netflix Cravings

By Carlie Coons - Jul 13 2015

When was the last time that you heard someone say “I’m going to go watch one episode of that show on Netflix?” Have you ever heard anyone say that? Probably not because Netflix has become something that we all can’t seem to get away from. In case you are craving some new binge-watching material, I have picked out a handful of my favorite shows to binge-watch.

1. "Friday Night Lights"

What do you think of when you hear Texas? I think of high school football. Bright lights in the crowded stadiums on a Friday night in the fall. Centered on the small town of Dillon, Texas, this show has the heart. While watching this show, I think I have experienced every emotion possible. "Friday Night Lights" follows the Dillon Panthers football team lead by Coach Eric Taylor through the ups and downs of coaching a Texas high school football team to the ultimate dream: the state championship. Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose.

2. "Gossip Girl"

Hey there Upper East Siders. Word on the street is that you are looking for something a little saucy and a lot dramatic. Well I think I found the show for you. An anonymous blogger seems to have the inside scoop on the lives of the rich and elite. Scandals galore, "Gossip Girl" is a show to watch to indulge on your guilty pleasure. No one seems to know who this mysterious Gossip Girl is. Guess you'll have to watch to find out. XOXO Gossip Girl.

3. "One Tree Hill"

"One Tree Hill" is a show that has something for everyone. Do you like basketball? This show is centered on half brothers learning to play basketball alongside each other. Do you like music? "One Tree Hill" has some amazing musical performances from artists like Gavin Degraw, Shania Twain, Fall Out Boy and Cheap Trick. Do you miss the days of your preteen years? Chad Michael Murray is one of the stars of this show. I feel like "OTH" has something that everyone can relate to.

4. "Parks and Recreation"

First of all, Amy Poehler stars as Leslie Knope, the deputy director of the Parks and Recreation department of Pawnee, Indiana. Secondly, Nick Offerman is her boss. Thirdly, Chris Pratt. This screwball comedy follows the everyday operations of the Parks and Recreation department in the great city of Pawnee. Lastly, there is a small horse named Lil' Sebastian. Do you need any other reasons to watch this incredbily funny show?

5. "Orange Is The New Black"

If you haven't heard of this show, where have you been for the last three years? Based on the book of the same name by Piper Kerman, this show follows Piper Chapman as she serves time in a women's correctional facility. Upon her arrival at Litchfield Penitentiary, Piper finds herself face to face with an old flame. From there, the chaos of learning the prison ropes ensues.

6. "Grey's Anatomy"

This drama follows the ups and downs of the personal and professional lives of the surgical interns and residents of the fictional Seattle Grace Hosiptal. I am only in season two so I can't say much about the later seasons, but this show is easy to get into. Meredith Grey is one of the surgical interns at Seattle Grace and things start to get a little messy when she ends up sleeping with McDreamy. But who wouldn't want to sleep with Patrick Dempsy? I mean look at him.

Honorable Mentions

1. "The Office"

Steve Carell, John Krasinski, Rainn Wilson and Jenna Fischer. Translation: this show is funny. 

2. "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"

A newcomer Netflix original series. There is currently only one season, but Ellie Kemper is unstoppable in this crazy comedy about a mole woman trying to make it in the Big Apple.

3. "Glee"

Relive your high school glory days with this musical comedy. And celebrate your inner theater geek.

There are so many other great shows on Netflix. These are just some of my favorites. I hope you enjoy them if you choose to start watching them. And remember: please binge-watch responsibly.

Lead Image Credit: Deedle-Dee Productions, 3 Arts Entertainment and Universal Media Studios

Carlie Coons - Purdue University

Carlie Coons is a freshman at Purdue University majoring in social studies education. She was on her high school’s dance team for four years. In her free time, she enjoys reading, watching Netflix and playing with her sister’s puppy, Mackey. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @carlieann15.