Display capture
by Brooklyn Brown

9 Ways to Cure Writer's Block

By Brooklyn Brown - Jul 23 2017

A few years ago, I attended a seminar in which Appalachian novelist Ron Rash said he fixes his writer's block by sitting in a room with blank walls and writing for hours.

Rash's way of fixing writer's block might work, but I've always heard that there's more than one way to skin a cat, and most college students don't have that kind of time. So, what do we do when we're staring at a blank word document and we forget every word we've ever known?

Fresh U asked various college students what they do to cure writer's block, and this is what they had to say.

1. "Take a nap. Sleep on it." — Celia Farmer, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill class of 2020

I'd say season three episode eight of Parks and Rec is a perfect example of this. For those of you that haven't memorized every episode of Parks and Rec like me, it's the one where a sleep deprived Leslie Knope struggles to come up with a new project and finally starts getting ideas once she gets some sleep.

2. "I listen to music, specifically Slim Shady." — Angel Bowers, Western Carolina University class of 2020

I guess channeling your inner 8 Mile couldn't hurt. 

3. "Snacks!" — Annie Koenig, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill class of 2020

Eating helps your brain. That's like lesson #1 of Sesame Street.

4. "Memes. And naps." — Gabrielle Lane, University of Alabama class of 2020

Sometimes laughing and sleeping is the perfect combo for a writer's epiphany. 

5. "I usually just write whatever until something usable comes out." — Darla deMontesquiou, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill class of 2020

Leave it up to probability. Something is bound to make sense eventually, right?

6. "Doing more research on my topic usually helps." — Davis Dawson, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 2020 

Freshen up the ole perspective. Read some stuff; spark a brain cell.

7.  "If I have any personal experience with my topic, I'll usually try to tie that in." — Ben Miller, Western Carolina University class of 2019

8. "Listen to the Lemonade album and let Queen Bey inspire you." — Breanne Abbott, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill class of 2020 

If anything can inspire, it's Beyonce.

9. Write about writer's block.

We've all been there, so if you have any tips, share them with us at @FreshUonline. College students, stick together!

Lead Image Credit: Brooklyn Brown

Brooklyn Brown - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill