Display lead2
by Bre'Anna Grant

This College Student's First Craigslist Experience Went Hilariously Wrong

By Bre'Anna Grant - Aug 10 2017
The world is full of scammers, so we must always be vigilant. Using online sites like eBay, Amazon and Craigslist can expose us to being scammed, so it is important to use caution. However, sometimes being cautious doesn't get us what we want. 

Tessa Reiter, an elementary education major at Iowa State University, used Craigslist for the first time to purchase tickets for a concert — and it was also her last time using it.

"I was just trying to get tickets for Country on the River in Wisconsin," Reiter told Fresh U via Twitter direct messages. "There were ads selling tickets but most had already sold, so I just thought I'd make my own ad and see if anyone responded by chance, but didn't expect much."

Reiter said she knew of people who had bad experiences with Craigslist, so she was especially careful.

"This was my first time using Craigslist and I didn't really know what I was doing and wanted to be cautious because I've had friends and family get scammed before," Reiter said. "When the lady contacted me, she seemed to have exactly what I wanted (3 tickets for Saturday only for $50 each). It seemed just a little too perfect so once we worked out the details, she sent me an invite in an email to send her money through Google Wallet. I got the email and typed in my card details but it still just didn't feel right and that's when I asked for proof of tickets just with a picture and she went off after that."

The woman said she would cancel the invoice and flag Reiter's ad, going as far as to tell Reiter "I hope you get ate by a walrus."

Needless to say, Reiter will not be using Craigslist anymore.

Her tweet has received a lot of attention with over 1,700 retweets and 17,000 favorites.

"I rarely tweet anything, maybe once every 2 months. I wasn't even going to post this, but my friend talked me into it because she thought it was so funny," Reiter said.

"I'm not sure how it got this big," she said, "but anyways, we ended up getting tickets from our friends anyway and got to go to the concert to see Justin Moore!"

Lead Image Credit: @Tessa_Reiter via Twitter

Bre'Anna Grant - St. John's University

Bre'Anna is currently a sophomore at St. John's University. She is studying Journalism with an Italian minor with the intentions of becoming a reporter for CNN. In her free time, she loves to volunteer, read, write poetry and watch Bob's Burgers while drinking her favorite drink: lemonade. (Follow her on IG at @_bbaagg or on Twitter at @bbaagg_)