Display d
by Bre'Anna Grant

St. John's University Freshman Year Bucket List

By Bre'Anna Grant - May 26 2017

You received your acceptance letter, made your decision, paid your enrollment deposit (and housing deposit if dorming) and now you're waiting for August to roll around. You're officially a Johnny! Graduation is approaching and you can see that diploma less than a mile away. However, you're probably thinking about what you should do once you step on campus to officially start school. Here are a list of activities you should consider doing, now that you are coming to St. John's in the fall.

1. Go to the Activities Fair

@stjohnsu via Instagram

This is the first step to getting involved at St. John's. There are over 100+ organizations on campus that capture the interests of all, whether it's cultural, saving the environment, playing an instrument or if you can't find a club you like, start your own!

2. Go to Tip Off

@stjohnsu via Instagram

Since St. John's is a Big East Conference school, basketball is a HUGE deal. We don't have football, so this is like our homecoming game. However, the best part of Tip Off is seeing who performs!

3. Have One of Angela's Omelettes

@dearworld via Instagram

Angela is the lady who makes the best omelettes on campus. Having one of her omelettes will change your life!

4. Go to the Career Fair

Alicia Villafana

Even though you're a freshman, it's great to go and see what's out there and start planning for when you can obtain an internship. In addition, it allows you to network with different companies and other students who can help you get on the right path. Plus, you can get your photo taken for your LinkedIn profile!

5. Go to the Winter/Spring Carnival

St. John's University

Before finals week, St. John's offers a variety of activities to help students destress. Some include Ice Skating at Bryant Park, a Firework Show and a Tree Lighting Show. 

6. Have a Picnic on the Great Lawn

Alana Bethea

One thing that sets St. John's apart from other schools is our beautiful campus, which consists of the Great Lawn. It is a huge space right out in front of the library where students can layout, do homework and just relax. Take a few hours out of your day to sit down and have some lunch with some friends!

7. Volunteer

@stjohnsu via Instagram

Community service is not only a requirement for some courses you'll have to take, but it's also a part of the University Mission. University Service Day is a whole day dedicated to going out into the community and helping others.  Whether you participate in University Service Day, a Midnight Run or a Plunge, change only occurs when you step outside your comfort zone and take action!

Not many people can go to college due to a number of reasons, but if you have the opportunity to go, make it count! Don't worry about not fitting in or getting a bad grade on a quiz — it's not the end of the world. Do things that make you happy and everything else will fall into place. Remember: you can't live your best life if you're constantly blocking yourself from new experiences and opportunities.

These are just a few ideas on what to put on your freshman year bucket list. It is your college experience, so tailor it in a way that works for you. Good luck!

Lead Image Credit: Glenn Cartstens-Peters via Unsplash

Bre'Anna Grant - St. John's University

Bre'Anna is currently a sophomore at St. John's University. She is studying Journalism with an Italian minor with the intentions of becoming a reporter for CNN. In her free time, she loves to volunteer, read, write poetry and watch Bob's Burgers while drinking her favorite drink: lemonade. (Follow her on IG at @_bbaagg or on Twitter at @bbaagg_)