by Bre'Anna Grant

How One College Junior Overcame Being Homeless and Rented His First Apartment

By Bre'Anna Grant - Sep 26 2017

Life is full of ups and downs. Sometimes life will keep knocking you down over and over again and it will seem to never end. However, you have to pick yourself up and continue to fight. 

Naim Kishun, a junior at Albany State University, took to Twitter to share his story of being homeless for six weeks and working hard to be able to rent his first apartment.

"I knew before I came to school this year that I would be homeless for a bit because I didn't have enough for the total cost of tuition," Kishun told Fresh U via Twitter direct messages. "I had a couple hundred dollars saved up from just hustling and working. My mom didn't want me to go because freshman year, I had already gotten robbed at gunpoint, but this time I would actually be without housing. I knew if I could find private property, I would be able to move in faster.

"I got a job out at Applebee's as a server during the fourth week of school after constantly calling," he said. "I had to sneak in and out of dorms and sleep on the floor and couches until I got caught last week, almost facing fines. I was living out of my car basically with all of my clothes in the car. I had nights where I wanted to spend the money I saved up but I had to keep focus on the big prize so I bought noodles at times."

Kishun knew he had enough for a down payment on an apartment but wanted to be secure with making sure he had enough for the upcoming months. That's when he got a refund check and he was able to pay ahead on his apartment.

"I told them about my situation and they moved me in the next day," Kishun said. "On my way back to campus after signing the lease, I broke down crying from all of the weeks of sacrificing my life to get my education basically and just the grind that comes with it. I was happy for myself."

His inspirational tweet has received a lot of attention with over 30,000 retweets and 136,000 favorites, and Twitter users are loving it:

When asked if he expected his tweet to go viral, Kishun replied, "I was just happy about what I accomplished. I knew it would get noticed but I didn't expect it to get this big but I thank God for that, too."

For those of you who are struggling, Kishun leaves this message: "Stay positive because that is the best way to perform. You can't feel sorry for yourself. Remember there is always someone out there that's doing worse than you so be grateful for what you have."

Lead Image Credit: @naimthedream5 via Twitter

Bre'Anna Grant - St. John's University

Bre'Anna is currently a sophomore at St. John's University. She is studying Journalism with an Italian minor with the intentions of becoming a reporter for CNN. In her free time, she loves to volunteer, read, write poetry and watch Bob's Burgers while drinking her favorite drink: lemonade. (Follow her on IG at @_bbaagg or on Twitter at @bbaagg_)