by Bre'Anna Grant

This High School Senior Surprised Her Class with a Presentation on Black Lives Matter

By Bre'Anna Grant - May 27 2017

Everyone has had that one annoying presentation they would rather do on a topic they chose instead of the one given to them by their professor. One brave high school senior took the opportunity to not only do her assigned topic, but to enlighten her fellow classmates on the Black Lives Matter movement.

Melena Gebrngus, a senior at Oak Ridge High School, covered her part of her assigned project but also discussed the Black Lives Matters movement.

"I did it because a specific person in my class that was white was actually against BLM and telling me that it shouldn't be my presentation and how 'it is not right' for me to do it after she stated 'all lives matter,'" Gebrngus told Fresh U via Twitter DMs.  "Also, when I first brought [the idea] to the table, she told me, 'I wouldn't do that if I were you,' so I was mostly influenced [to do it] because of her dislikes towards BLM. Plus, it's not only her that was against it — there were also others in the class."

Since posting the tweet, she has received a lot of attention and support from some other users.

"This is my AP government class and there are like two black students in that class and I'm one of the two and that influenced me more to 'school' these classmates of mine," Gebrngus said.

Now, you're probably wondering ... how did the class react? The teacher?

"The girl rolled her eyes at first when she saw my presentation that had BLM on the screen, but then she actually was intrigued when I was presenting because I was pulling nothing but facts. Literally the whole class was quiet," she stated.  

She added that: "The other black student was supportive like no other cheering me on. The teacher was shocked to see that I had another presentation on BLM (that's why I was laughing so hard [in] the pictures because everyone was like amazed and shocked [at] my presentation.) Actually, my teacher was so intrigued [she was] asking me all types of questions; so many questions for slide after slide." 

Gebrngus will be attending Prairie View A&M University in the fall where she will be majoring in nursing.

We know one thing for sure: She is not afraid to stand out and stand up for what she believes in. 

Lead Image Credit: Twitter

Editor's note: Some quotes have been edited for clarity.
Bre'Anna Grant - St. John's University

Bre'Anna is currently a sophomore at St. John's University. She is studying Journalism with an Italian minor with the intentions of becoming a reporter for CNN. In her free time, she loves to volunteer, read, write poetry and watch Bob's Burgers while drinking her favorite drink: lemonade. (Follow her on IG at @_bbaagg or on Twitter at @bbaagg_)