Display db2aykgvoaavour
by Bre'Anna Grant

This High School Senior Graduated With A 4.1 GPA But No Scholarships for Her School

By Bre'Anna Grant - Jun 13 2017

Imagine busting your butt all four years of high school being involved in many activities, doing community service, working a part-time job and studying day and night just to graduate at the top of your class with no scholarships. 

Kaile Chaparro, who recently graduated from William J. Brennan High School in Texas, was actively involved during her four years there. During her first two years, she played volleyball, and during her sophomore year, was inducted into the National Honors Society. After her sophomore year, she stopped playing volleyball and became more active in her debate class, becoming the co-captain her junior year in addition to becoming the NHS president. Her last year of high school, she became captain of the debate team.

"As a freshman, my rank was 13 out of over 600 students and I made it my goal to breach the top ten," Chaparro told Fresh U via Twitter direct messages. "At the end of my freshman year, I was ranked 15. All throughout sophomore year I was doing volleyball, debate and I had a part-time job on top of taking all pre-AP classes and my first AP class. I sat at the rank of 15 each semester. My junior year, I was really determined to break top ten."

At the end of the first semester of her junior year, she was ranked ninth. At the end of the year, she was sixth. 

"My goal for my senior year was to graduate at the rank of five," Chaparro said. "I really put my studies first and it helped that I had an amazing support group always cheering me on and knowing when I needed to give my school work 110 percent and never giving me a hard time about being so in tune with my schooling. It became my first priority to get perfect scores on everything because anything less wouldn't put me at the top spot I wanted to be at. 

And eventually, all of her hard work had paid off when she received her rank of four out of 700 graduating seniors with a GPA of 101.11.

Her relatable tweet has received over 1,600 retweets and 10,000 likes. The responses ranged from "congratulations" to some criticizing her for later responding that she received scholarships from different schools.

All of this begs the question, "Is sports valued more over better academics when it comes to scholarships?"

"Oh absolutely. At my school, there were two scholarships given to athletes by the PTA who had said they'd help me get scholarships but never did because they were so focused on the athletes," Chaparro said. "Our class president was given the principal's scholarship because she was an athlete even though she didn't have as high of a GPA as me. Especially in Texas, people care more about Friday night lights than what kids are studying. Someone had even quote tweeted my tweet saying if I wanted to get anywhere I should've played soccer, so it's not something that people don't know."

Chaparro will be attending the University of Texas, Austin in the fall, majoring in biology.

"More recognition needs to go to the kids that put in 110 percent in everything, not just sports," Chaparro concluded.

Lead Image Credit: Kaile Chaparro via Twitter

Bre'Anna Grant - St. John's University

Bre'Anna is currently a sophomore at St. John's University. She is studying Journalism with an Italian minor with the intentions of becoming a reporter for ABC, CBS or Good Morning America. In her free time, she loves to volunteer, read, write poetry and watch Bob's Burgers while drinking her favorite drink: lemonade. (Follow her on IG at @_bbaagg or on Twitter at @bbaagg_)