by Bre'Anna Grant

A Student Protestor at Indiana University Handed a Police Officer a Shaken Pepsi

By Bre'Anna Grant - Apr 14 2017

On Wednesday, students at Indiana University protested a speech given by Charles Murray, commonly known as a white supremacist and sexist. Police presence was brought in by the University to ensure Murray’s and the student’s safety.

Before the protest kicked into full swing, one bold student handed an officer a bottle of shaken Pepsi, and it spilled on the officer. A few other officers laughed and smiled as their comrade walked over to them disgruntled.

Nathaniel Ferguson, a sophomore Computer Science and Game Design major shared the experience with Fresh U via Twitter DM. “I missed the soda explosion, but saw him walking away with a spilled soda," Ferguson said. "I thought it was funny. Not everyone knew it was shaken, but most students seemed to enjoy it.”

Giving a Pepsi to a person in law enforcement during a protest is a play on Kendall Jenner's recent controversial advertisement with Pepsi, inferring it would make peace between protesters and police officers. 

One person on Twitter saw someone shake up another Pepsi, but it wasn't handed off. 

Murray’s speech was organized by the American Enterprise Institute Executive Council at Indiana University and as the university’s Tocqueville Program.

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, Murray is a fellow at American Enterprise, an organization that uses prejudice, fear and misinformation to undermine equality. He uses racist pseudoscience and misleading statistics to argue that social inequality is caused by the genetic inferiority of the black and Latino communities, women and the poor.

About the Pepsi incident, Hannah Eli, a sophomore, said: “It was a minute long distraction, but it really united the protest."

She said: “People came out to protest because they disagreed with a specific view of Murray’s, and there were many different disagreements represented in the crowd. However, we were all there to protest Murray, and were angry that it seemed the police were protecting Murray more than they were protecting the students.”

Indiana University locked Franklin Hall, where Murray’s speech was held, and only students who had class or work in that building were allowed in after showing valid ID. Guards were stationed at all doors, directing students to enter through the Southeast doors of the building.

Students with tickets were allowed to enter the President’s Hall, where the speech was taking place and those who had class did not have access to the lobby area. 

Lead Image Credit: Twitter via julian_epp

Bre'Anna Grant - St. John's University

Bre'Anna is currently a sophomore at St. John's University. She is studying Journalism with an Italian minor with the intentions of becoming a reporter for CNN. In her free time, she loves to volunteer, read, write poetry and watch Bob's Burgers while drinking her favorite drink: lemonade. (Follow her on IG at @_bbaagg or on Twitter at @bbaagg_)