by Bre'Anna Grant

10 Easy Ways To Take A Break During Finals Week

By Bre'Anna Grant - Apr 24 2017

Finals week is approaching fast, and summer 2017 is on the horizon. Almost every college student knows the struggle of finding a good, quiet place to study when the library is jammed packed. And after studying all night and cramming for that exam, sleep seems like the only possible thing left to do. However, that's not the case. Here are 10 ways you can take a break from studying.

1. Listen to a guided meditation.

Become one with yourself. Doing five to 10 minutes of meditation can clear your brain and relieve some stress, enabling you to feel less tense when you go back to studying. 

2. Have a healthy snack.

Who would want a healthy snack after studying chemistry for four hours? Although your first instinct may be to order a pizza or reach for that Monster energy drink, swap it out for some yogurt, granola, nuts or even dark chocolate. Snack smart and study hard my friends. 

3. Color with crayons.

Flashback to the days when you were the coolest kid in second grade because you had the 64-count Crayola crayon pack. Taking a break to draw some doodles or to color in between the lines can help reduce some stress. Because let's face it: no matter how long or how hard we study, the "real world" isn't all unicorns and rainbows.

4. Make some coffee.

Starbucks anyone?

5. Write in a journal.

Sometimes when we put our thoughts to pen and paper, we feel a lot better. Feeling sad? Journal it. Feeling angry? Journal it. Feeling overwhelmed? JOURNAL IT.

6. Go for a walk.

Get up and get moving! Just by taking a quick walk, you can increase blood flow, boost memory performance and improve your mood.

7. Talk to a friend.

Who understands the struggle of being a college student better than other college students? Take a break and talk to some friends. Whether it's to complain about your professors, share some gossip, vent your heart out or talk about new music, reach out and talk!

8. Pet a furry creature.

During finals week, some schools bring therapy animals to campus so students can have some time to unwind after spending hours studying and taking an exam. If your school offers this, don't hesitate to go — you may make a new furry friend!

9. Listen to music. 

Pull out those headphones, open up Spotify and jam out to some tunes!

10. Read a book. 

Now I know what you're thinking: "Why would I want to read a book when I just read 47 pages of my economics textbook?" I totally feel for you. However, reading a book of your interest can give you a break from the supply and demand concept you spent 20 minutes reading. Pick up any kind of book you like (romance, thriller, drama or mystery) and dive into something new!

The most important part of studying for finals is making sure that you leave yourself some down time. Remember to relax and also have fun. The end of the semester is near and summer is calling your name! Don't let finals get you down. Create a study schedule and stick to it: that way you put in enough study time and have enough "me time."

Lead Image Credit: Giulia Bertilli via Unsplash

Bre'Anna Grant - St. John's University

Bre'Anna is currently a sophomore at St. John's University. She is studying Journalism with an Italian minor with the intentions of becoming a reporter for CNN. In her free time, she loves to volunteer, read, write poetry and watch Bob's Burgers while drinking her favorite drink: lemonade. (Follow her on IG at @_bbaagg or on Twitter at @bbaagg_)