Display rock
by Dawson

Why NOT to Tell Off Your High School Enemy the Summer Before College

By Dawson - Jun 29 2016

You’ve just thrown your cap in the air and you’re ready to take on that next step into the real world. As you walk out to greet your family and thank them for attending your graduation, there he is: your high school enemy. He is the guy who has seemed to get under your skin every chance he gets, and now, everything you’ve ever wanted to say to him is racing through your mind. Now that you’ve graduated, what’s the harm, right?

Well, I hate to say it, but it might be in your best interest to hold your tongue for just a little longer. I know, I know, you are just dying to finally speak your mind after four years of remaining silent. While it might seem like the perfect opportunity to tell that “special someone” where to shove it, you never know when and where you could run into them again.

During the summer, students tend to visit similar vacation spots, such as the local beach. The day after I graduated, a group of friends and I took a road trip to Dewey Beach, Delaware, and on this mini-vacation, we encountered over 20 students from our graduating class, one of which being a student who regularly went out of their way to aggravate me. Had I told them off on graduation night, I would have been doomed to an extremely awkward beach day. For you, this student hot-spot could be the local water park, hiking trail or restaurant.

Depending on how you decide to spend your first winter break or summer break, you could find yourself spending some quality time back in your home town, catching up with old friends and family. Now imagine how tense it will be when you go to the grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk and lo and behold, so is the last person you want to see. You force small talk and try to have a friendly conversation, yet the only thing either of you can think about is your choice words from the night of graduation. This too can be avoided.

Plan on going home for the summer and making some money? Chances are, if you are looking for a job with one of the local businesses, so are most of the other students back from college or just out of high school. Therefore, you are yet again susceptible to prolonged contact with people that you weren’t the best of friends with in high school. It would make for a miserable summer if you have to work at the cash register next to someone you cussed out for a small moment of personal satisfaction.

In general, burning bridges with people around you might make you feel good temporarily, but can usually lead to further problems down the road. So I can’t tell you what to do, but instead of “colorfully” displaying your anger, it might be best to just smile, let bygones be bygones and know that they’ll get what’s coming to them one day.  

Lead Image Credit: David Marcu via Unsplash

Dawson - Duke University

Brandon is a freshman at Duke University where he is potentially majoring in Public Policy and Environmental Science. In his free time, he loves participating in public-speaking and theater, and is a part-time beekeeper! Follow him on Instagram @brandonndawsonn!