Display bad me vs you
by Bianca D'Agostino

Women Need to Stop Attacking Other Women

By Bianca D'Agostino - Aug 10 2016

How many times have you seen posts like this?

via @scontent-b on Instagram
via @tw3rkable on Instagram

I'm not going to lie, I've laughed at a lot of these and thrown them some likes on Instagram or Twitter, but then I saw this one:

via @sassytbh on twitter

This is an old post but it really stirred up a lot of emotions in me. This was not your regular "I am Beyonce bow down because I'm flawless" sort of post - this was comparing one woman to another solely based on appearances. One is considered less beautiful because she doesn't have the curves of Nicki Minaj, but I bet the person making this post didn't know that Giuliana Rancic had just overcome Breast cancer. 

I'm not saying that either is prettier than the other, I think both women are beautiful - not only because of their superstar looks, but because of the accomplishments that both Nicki and Giuliana have done. 

Women have overcome a lot – if we go wayyyy back to when women were fighting for the right to vote, do you think just one person could completely turn the tide? Obviously not! There were teams of women who would gather and brainstorm ways to promote their rights. Iconic women such as Elizabeth Cady Stanton, the first President of the National American Woman Suffrage Association, and Mary Church Terrell, the first President of the National Association of Colored Women, led the movement and provided leadership - but an impact was made in history by the mass numbers of women joining together to make change. 

via Julie Jordan Scott on Flkr

Why would the same not apply today? To tackle the multitude of struggles women face such as unequal pay, racial discrimination and body shaming (to name a few), women can not be belittling each others successes or highlighting their "flaws." Real change is made when there is a strong base - a base in which women support other women. Praise their successes and give constructive criticism and assistance with their struggles. 

As young college women, we are all on the brink of major change in our lives - we are going to have enriched educations and a multitude of opportunities for us to achieve as we all attend our unique universities. Why don't you try and make a change? 

Praise women. 

Be an advocate for women.

Be an example to society that women have strength and potential.

Lead Image Credit: via @sassytbh on twitter

Bianca D'Agostino - University of Connecticut

Bianca is a freshman at the University of Connecticut majoring in business and minoring in communications and international business. She political articles and loves to be involved on her campus. Bianca loves to read, run, knit and craft. You can follow her on Instagram @biancadag!