Display 21181195099 e60beeb5d5 z
by Bianca D'Agostino

What's Happening to the Anti-Trump Movement?

By Bianca D'Agostino - May 27 2016

Before Donald Trump was the presumptive nominee and sole candidate left running for the Republican Party this election cycle, people were doing everything and anything possible to make him stumble.

Notable Republican figure heads such as Paul Ryan (Republican Speaker of the House), Mitt Romney (former Republican Presidential Candidate) and more spoke out against him to show the American public that the Republican establishment would not support him as the official nominee. He was noted as a "disgrace to the party of Lincoln and Reagan" and unsuitable to be the most powerful man in the free world.

Protest after protest, news segment after segment, the media and politicians tried to block him from getting closer to the magic number of delegates needed. Former candidates also vying for the nomination, Senator Ted Cruz and Governor John Kasich, resorted to ganging up on Trump by sacrificing campaigning in states they were not a sure-fire win in (for example, Kasich was guaranteed in Ohio, so Cruz would back off and tell voters there to vote for Kasich to prevent Trump from winning, and vice versa).

The reactions to Trump have been unprecedented – there has not been this much backlash against a potential presidential candidate in decades.

But recently, once Trump became the presumptive nominee after Cruz and Kasich had almost simultaneously dropped out of the race, the raging sea of anguish against Trump has calmed. Yes, there are still Super Pacs, such as Our Principles Pac, organizations and figures that are actively against Trump, but really, there is not much news about people publicly bashing Trump.

For example, many Republican figure heads such as former Speaker of the House, John Boehner, and the National Rifle Association (NRA) have said that they endorse Trump on his road to the White House. News stations that are more right-leaning are also calming down (slightly) on the bashing.

I'm sure you're asking yourself, "WHY?" Why did people just cease pulling out all the stops to end his campaign? Well, this isn't just coming out of nowhere. Could this be a result of him trying to be more "Presidential?" He has constantly said that he looks and acts in such a way, but now it looks like he is trying to prove it.

He has released to the public what he plans to do in his "First 100 days of Office" if elected. This shows what he is aiming to accomplish in regards to legislation, international affairs and other presidential duties. You can read more about it here.

Trump has also released who is Supreme Court nominees would be, which has been noted as pleasing the Republican party. Fox News states that his picks were meant to "reassure conservatives that his picks would be in line with their positions and help allay lingering reservations." Fox also states that this list is very appealing to the Republican establishment, and that it is starting to "bring together a fractured Republican Party" as well as establish some trust. 

And finally, his maliciousness has seemingly calmed down – well, to an extent. He's tried reconciling with those who he has wronged, specifically Megan Kelley of Fox News whom he has had MAJOR problems with. The two made up on her Fox News special which you can watch here. 

This may not be what everyone wants to hear, but the Trump Tides seem to changing. People on the Republican Party boat are either staying for the ride to provide a "united front" to keep the party strong, or they're jumping ship seeking out other candidates from different parties to support.

Lead Image Credit: Thomas Good via Flickr

Bianca D'Agostino - University of Connecticut

Bianca is a freshman at the University of Connecticut majoring in business and minoring in communications and international business. She political articles and loves to be involved on her campus. Bianca loves to read, run, knit and craft. You can follow her on Instagram @biancadag!