Display 2016.02.09 presidential campaign new hampshire usa 02817  24643522420
by Bianca D'Agostino

Here's What You Need to Know About Tomorrow's Primaries

By Bianca D'Agostino - Jun 06 2016

Tomorrow's second-to-last Democratic Primary for the 2016 Presidential election may be the most significant yet. The delegates who win tomorrow can determine who the presumptive nominee will be for the Democratic Party.

The primaries are including the states of California, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota (which does a caucus method) and South Dakota. There will be a total of 806 delegates available throughout.

Clinton needs 574 of the 806 delegates up for grabs tomorrow to reach the magic number of 2,383 delegates to win the nomination--she can do this if she wins (the majority) of California (546 delegates) and another slightly larger state like New Mexico (43 delegates) or New Jersey (142 delegates).

Sanders needs a whopping 817 out of the 851 delegates left in the race (so almost all the 806 delegates tomorrow) to snag the nomination from Clinton, who is seemingly the presumptive nominee

Out of these 6 states, all eyes are on California as it makes up 546 delegates--over half the number of delegates available tomorrow--and can completely change the game. If Sanders doesn't win California, there is no way he can reach the number of delegates required to claim the nomination.

According to the L.A. Times, California has an unprecedented number of registered voters for this primary, with 17,915,053 people ready to vote for their favorite candidates.

There is still one more Democratic Primary left which will take place on June 14th for the District of Colombia Primary (45 delegates), so if tomorrow's primary remains a toss-up, the nomination can be potentially determined by this final primary.

The results of tomorrow are almost unpredictable--the two candidates have been vigorously campaigning in an attempt to clinch the nomination, as they both are spending millions on ads in California alone. It will either be a clear winner or a toss up--you can watch what happens on TV (live on CNN) or watch for online updates on Twitter. 

Lead Image Credit: Ted Eytan via Wikimedia Commons

Bianca D'Agostino - University of Connecticut

Bianca is a freshman at the University of Connecticut majoring in business and minoring in communications and international business. She political articles and loves to be involved on her campus. Bianca loves to read, run, knit and craft. You can follow her on Instagram @biancadag!