by Benjamin Katz

5 Podcasts You Should Be Using to Keep Up With Current Events

By Benjamin Katz - Nov 21 2017

Balancing work, social and personal life is a challenging obstacle to overcome in college. If you're struggling to keep up in one of those departments, don't worry – we’ve all been there, done that. To make it even harder keeping up with your academics, social life and campus activities, we all want to know what’s going on in the world. Unfortunately, there is a lot to know nowadays, and trying to keep up can definitely be challenging sometimes.

However, there is a wonderful, effective and easy way for college students to keep up: Podcasts are one of the most efficient ways to keep up with your current events. Below I have five major podcasts that my peers and I absolutely love and use daily to keep up with what is going on in this hectic world.

1. The Daily, by The New York Times

The New York Times

It’s pretty obvious, but this podcast is brought to you by The New York Times. It is hosted by Michael Barbaro and it reaches a wide variety of topics. It’s a great podcast to listen to when you’re walking to class, or even when you’re doing work because its normal run time is only 25 minutes! It doesn’t require too much of your attention as it is kind of dry and is not as much of a show as it is a news report. Regardless, it is a great way to get your daily current events!

2. Pod Save America, by Crooked Media

Crooked Media

This podcast is brilliant. It is relatively short and sweet. There are four talk show hosts – Jon Favreau, Dan Pfeiffer, Jon Lovett and Tommy Vietor, all of whom were aids to the Obama administration. They talk a lot about the Trump administration and the podcast as a whole is politically charged. However, it is great to listen to when you're running low on time and want to hear about what our government is up to today.

3. Lovett or Leave It, by Crooked Media

Crooked Media

Another amazing podcast to put on if you’re looking for a laugh or two is Lovett or Leave It. This podcast is run by Jon Lovett, one of the co-hosts of Pod Save America, and he is joined by different comedians, actors and even journalists every week. They cover the top news from the week, so if you’re looking for a brief summary of the past week, this is the podcast for you. Jon Lovett is a funny, intelligent guy who keeps the show extremely entertaining, so if you’re also looking for a laugh, you’ll be pleased listening to this podcast!

4. Political Science, by The New Yorker

The New Yorker

This podcast is done by Dorothy Wickenden and is nearly always just about politics. Nowadays, almost all of the news is on politics, so getting this weekly podcast in would be a good way to keep up with our country's activities. The host, Dorothy, usually picks one or two topics to talk about and then invites guests to help elaborate on what kind of impact these issues will have on our country, and on the world. 

5. The Bugle

The Bugle Podcast

This podcast is one of my favorites. It is run by John Oliver, who you may know from his HBO talk show and The Daily Show, and his co-host Andy Zaltzman. Both are hilarious and easy to listen to. They tend to focus more on the international side of things, while throwing in their rhetorical British humor. This could be a better choice for that long dreaded walk to class because it is more of an audible newspaper than a talk show. But if you're looking for an amazing talk show to sit in bed and watch, definitely watch John Oliver's HBO show Last Week Tonight. All in all, this podcast is just an additional, funny podcast that will keep you informed.

Overall, there are so many podcasts to enjoy. All of them are geared towards particular audiences, but these podcasts are a must for college students. I know how it feels to be drowning with work and not know anything that is happening in the world. However, listen to at least one of these podcasts, and you’ll soon feel very differently!

Benjamin Katz - Muhlenberg College

Current freshman at Muhlenberg College.