by Beatrice Li

5 Things to Expect When You Attend Loyola Marymount University

By Beatrice Li - May 15 2017

Welcome, Class of 2021! Congratulations, and I am so happy for you all. I can honestly say that choosing to attend LMU was one of the best decisions I've ever made.  As a result of your hard work, you have landed an amazing opportunity to call Loyola Marymount University your new home for the next four years. 

Though transitioning from high school to college is a big step, I know that LMU provides the right community that will welcome you and has many opportunities in store for you, regardless of who you are. Truly, the perks of attending this private Jesuit university are endless — here's what to expect when you step foot on this beautiful campus! 

1. Being overwhelmed with beauty. 

Beatrice Li
Beatrice Li
Beatrice Li

To call this campus "Insta-worthy" is an understatement. Though you've probably seen LMU boasting pictures of the bluff, or the Sacred Heart chapel more times than you can remember, seeing this campus is a huge blessing. Whether it's the bluff at sunset, or a simple stream of sunlight during your stroll across campus, get ready to be constantly bragging that this beautiful place is your home. 

2. Being overwhelmed with fun. 

A music festival on campus. A bunch of events on opening weekend (and every weekend, for that matter). An on-campus group that works to provide us with free/subsidized LA experiences like going to The Broad, Hollywood, Disneyland and more (check out the Program Assistants at LMU). Random celebrities that come to LMU (Justin Baldoni the past March and Ali Wong the following month).

Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice (Beatrice Li)
The Getty Center (Beatrice Li)

Might I add that we are only several miles from Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Hollywood and other attractions? 

So much to do, so little time — explore at your own risk! (Just kidding — no really, LMU and LA are great, but do keep time to yourself and your studies so that you can be that well-rounded, WHOLE person that LMU strives for you to be!)

3. Being overwhelmed with opportunities. 

You'll soon see that 24 hours a day is almost not enough to do everything you want to do. 

Many private schools boast about their small student to faculty ratio. However, that is not to be overlooked at LMU. With the average ratio being 11:1, your opportunities to connect with your professors (hint: you'll soon see how USEFUL it is to build relationships with your professors), whether it be for inspiration, advice, internships or doing research with them, will be valuable. 

Outside of the academic sector, LMU has 173 registered student organizations, 22 inter/national Greek frats and sororities and plenty more ways to get involved!  

4. Being overwhelmed... with expenses. 

Last summer before I started my time at LMU, I remember waking up from a nap to see a notification that my student bill had been updated. Yikes. 

On top of that, I soon realized all these little expenses were adding up — from desk organizers to textbooks. 

Nevertheless, I never doubted my time at LMU for a second. Sure, the cost of living and moving into a new place is expensive. That is the case anywhere. Yes, it sucks that textbooks cost money. That is the sad reality of being out of high school. BUT, everything is worth it, and LMU has plenty to offer for all of us who have decided to attend. 

As my parents said when they knew LMU was my first choice school but I was considering choosing a public school: "We can always make more money, but we can't buy back time." 

5. Being overwhelmed with DELICIOUSNESS. 

Demitasse Coffee, Santa Monica (Beatrice Li)
Pho Burrito @ Komodo, Venice (Beatrice Li)
Salt & Straw, Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice (Beatrice Li)
Urban Plates, Playa Vista (Beatrice Li)
Amaze Bowls, Venice Beach  (Beatrice Li)
Urth Caffe, Santa Monica (Beatrice Li)

Located in Los Angeles, LMU is the perfect location for a foodie. With plenty of juice bars, coffee shops, ramen restaurants and other trendy foods, you are sure to find your cravings satisfied — unlike your friends at other schools who are missing out. Eggslut? Four miles away. Urth Caffe? 5.2 miles. Mendocino Farms? 1.7 miles. Salt & Straw? 3.7 miles. Cute coffee shop? Search THAT up near your current location and your phone might blow up. 

The Bluff at sunset (Beatrice Li )

We've always been told that time flies when you're having fun. After attending this school for a year, I can attest that that statement has never been more accurate. Loyola Marymount University has so much to offer, and my wish is that you will all find the opportunity to embrace that. Too often I want to lock myself in a room and study but feel guilty because I can be taking a nice walk out on the beautiful bluff. Appreciate the view, appreciate the campus and all that it will bless you with. LMU is truly a school that cares about each individual student, and I personally take pride in calling this place my home. 

Congrats again, class of 2021! Go Lions!

Lead Image Credit: Beatrice Li 

Beatrice Li - Loyola Marymount University

Beatrice is a Sophomore at Loyola Marymount University majoring in Sociology, minoring in Studio Arts and Asian Pacific American Studies. In her free time, she enjoys cooking, painting, hiking, and exploring. She is a coffee addict and food enthusiast. Follow her at @beat_riice for non-writing content!