Display featured image
by Avinash Kumar

10 Business Books and Why You Should Read Them

By Avinash Kumar - Jun 24 2017

The 'business' genre of modern-day books stretches way beyond less-than-effective self-help books or third-grade management volumes. The best business books of today talk about a multitude of fields and not just the act of management itself. If you're looking to foray into the world of business for the first time or add greater depth to your existing knowledge, this list of heavily interdisciplinary yet business-related books will come in handy.

1. From Silk To Silicon by Jeffrey E. Gartner

Let's kick off this list with the best work on globalization to date. The book follows ten visionary leaders, from Genghis Khan to Margaret Thatcher, and their efforts to bring the world closer over a millennium. 

Get it on Amazon here.

Goodreads

2. Deng Xiaoping And The Transformation Of China by Ezra F. Vogel

When one talks about the world economy in general, it's impossible not to talk about the Herculean economic powerhouse that China has become since the 1990s. This book is the story of Deng Xiaoping, the leader of the Chinese Communist Party and the man that made the dizzying economic growth rates of China possible.

Get it on Amazon here.

Goodreads

3. Factory Girls by Leslie T. Chang

While we're on the topic of China, it is important to look at the flip-side of the hypersonic industrial growth. Factory Girls delves deeper into the personal stories of rural Chinese women moving to the cities in search for jobs.

Get it on Amazon here.

Goodreads

4. Too Big To Fail by Andrew R. Sorkin

No one does a better job than Sorkin in cleaning up the numbers and jargon to deliver a thriller that matches the magnitude of greed, treachery and fraudulence of the Global Financial Crisis. A must-read for everyone, not just the business enthusiasts.

Get it on Amazon here

Goodreads

5. Black Edge by Sheelah Kolhatkar

No tale of Wall Street perfidy is complete without the most nefarious insider trading crime in history. Meet Steven A. Cohen, the founder and CEO of S.A.C. Capital Advisors, and the center of a meticulous investigation chronicled by Kolhatkar.  

Get it on Amazon here.

Goodreads

6. Why Save The Bankers by Thomas Piketty

With his award-winning book 'Capital In The 21st Century,' Thomas Piketty gained widespread fame as the face of economic progressivism. In this book, he returns as the largely neutral voice describing the financial meltdowns of our time with razor-sharp accuracy and poise. One for the economics amateurs!

Get it on Amazon here.

Goodreads

7. No Logo by Naomi Klein

Klein tactfully trims the barriers between marketing and sociology with this masterclass. She tackles the intricacies of consumerism head-on by talking about big brands and their influence on our society. 

Get it on Amazon here.

Goodreads

8. Option B by Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant

Get set for a real tear-jerker of a book because the Sandberg's calamitous and heart-wrenching loss of her husband is sure to make you cry buckets. The COO of Facebook, along with a Wharton psychologist, talks about making the most of Option B in our own lives, be it professional or personal. 

Get it on Amazon here.

Goodreads

9. The Golden Passport by Duff McDonald

The newest (and perhaps the most controversial) entry in this list is McDonald's incisive obliteration of Harvard Business School. The author of several other corporate bashers does not hold back yet again, which makes this read all the more worth it.

Get it on Amazon here.

Goodreads

10. Rise Of The Robots by Martin Ford

At the end of the list is the winner of the Financial Times Book of the Year 2015. Ford presents a grim portrait of the future by talking about emerging technologies like machine learning and automation, and how they would nullify the very idea of working. 

Get it on Amazon here.

Goodreads

As we near the end of this article, it is important to note that no list of book recommendations is complete. I would argue that this is more so in the case of business books because the definition of a business book is blurring by the day. Don't forget that these books are not limited to the 'business elite,' and most are actually written for the masses!

Editor's Note: As part of Amazon's Affiliate Program, Fresh U may get a small percentage of sales resulting from this article. 

Avinash Kumar - St. John's College – Santa Fe