by Avery Lumeng

8 Things You Should Actually Do Before Leaving for College

By Avery Lumeng - May 30 2017

It’s the last few months before you leave your hometown for your big college adventure. Sure, you could fill your summer with the usual beach visits and Netflix days, but why not do something slightly more productive? Here are eight activities you should do to actually prepare yourself for leaving in the fall.

1. Figure out how to vote.

Jay Phagan via WikiMedia Commons

Each state has different laws for how to vote absentee — for example, Michigan requires that you vote in person at least once before voting absentee if you register by mail. YouTuber Hank Green released a great series of videos explaining how to register in each state!

2. Make a plan to stay in touch with your best friends.

Breakingpic via Pexels

Whether it’s regularly scheduled Skype calls, a text chain dedicated solely to pictures of dorm food or lunch plans over holiday break, make sure to keep the friendships that matter.

3. Hang out with your underclassmen friends. 

Brooke Cagle via UnSplash

In the rush of preparing to start a new chapter in your life, it’s easy to lose touch with some of your younger friends now that you now have less to bond over. They’ll probably need you in the coming years as they go through their own transitions and you just don’t want to lose good friendships!

4. Also, your siblings.

Greg Raines via UnSplash

You may not think so now, but someday you’re going to miss constantly fighting over the last piece of pizza or who has to fold the laundry. Your relationship with your siblings is going to change soon, whether you like it or not, so take this time to get to know them and spend some quality time together.

5. Clean your room.

It may sound silly, but you don’t want to come home for your next holiday break and only then remember that bag of fast food you’d stuffed in your desk drawer late one night.

6. Make a budget/track your spending. 

TheDigitalWay via Pixabay

If you’re anything like me, most of the money you spent throughout high school was on junk food and gas. As you prepare to enter the real-world, having a better understanding of where your money goes and how much you spend will be incredibly helpful.

7. Eat at all the restaurants you'll miss.

Khachik Simonian via UnSplash

I’m a foodie, and thankfully I grew up in a foodie town. I fully intend to eat all of my favorites ahead of the next nine months of dorm food.

8. Make your own bucket list.

Glenn Carstens-Peters via UnSplash

There are probably dozens of little things you’ll miss about your hometown — your local bookstore, nights spent at the river or even that one squirrel in the park who always steals your food. Make your own list of adventures you want to have before embarking on the ultimate adventure. 

High school may be over, but you still have a few months before officially taking off on your life's next adventure. Don't let this summer disappear into lazy nights and Netflix binges; make the most of it, and have a summer to remember, while still looking ahead. 

Lead Image Credit: Natalie B via Pexels

Avery Lumeng - Wellesley College

Avery is a politics junkie and statistics nerd from Ann Arbor, MI. She is attending Wellesley College as a member of the class of 2021 in the fall, majoring in political science and minoring in mathematics. // Twitter: @avery_lumeng // Instagram: @averylumeng