by Ava Frazier

What 2017 Means to Me

By Ava Frazier - Jan 04 2017

When English writer H.K Chesterton wrote, “The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul," he explained life in the way I understand it. 

The beginning of a new year is a magical time. It offers us the chance to renew ourselves and focus on the things that are important to us. But our New Year's resolutions usually tend to seek a final destination. We want to lose weight. We want to read 10 books this year. We want to find love. But these things are not always in our control. Sure, we can choose to go to the gym, force ourselves to read two chapters every night or make an online dating account, but sometimes it's not as easy as it sounds to achieve the goals that we set.  

I have a multiplicity of plans for myself in 2017. These include the typical goals such as eating healthy, playing more tennis and performing more often. But my mindset for the new year takes a different path.  

On January 1st, my social media threads were filled with words of positivity and optimism directed at the world. Why don't I see that every time I log in? We as individuals have the power to choose the message we send into the world. More often than not, our message is one of negativity. I want to live every day with the love and hope we give at the beginning of a new year. As much as I want to live a physically healthier lifestyle, read and write more than I already do and find love I haven't experienced before, I would rather spend my energy living a mentally healthy life, reading in between the lines of living and giving love.  

To me, 2017 is an opportunity to focus on my core values. In the past, I viewed these morals through lenses of success. My belief was that I would do certain things once I had become accomplished. But I have come to realize that I don't just want to be a kind, giving, hardworking, successful woman... I want to become a successful women by being kind, giving and hardworking. By living in love, hope, kindness and truth, I undoubtedly believe that my result-oriented resolutions will fall into place when they are meant to.  

So I give to you love, hope, kindness and truth with the wish that you will spread them as well. Say thank you because you mean it, not because it's the socially acceptable thing to do. When someone touches your heart, tell them. Seek to touch other's hearts every day. Choose meaningful relationships. Experience deep conversations with anyone and everyone. Give love. Share hope. Breathe kindness. Speak truth. Live 2017 instead of using it as a means of transportation to an unrelenting destination. 

Living with a bright soul and pure intentions is what 2017 means to me. 

Lead Image Credit: Ava Frazier

Ava Frazier - Belmont University

Ava Frazier is a freshman at Belmont University. She is a singer/songwriter born and raised in Las Vegas, Nevada who listens to everything from country music to Disney pop. Lifehouse, doughnuts, and sunsets are the way to her heart. You can keep up with her on Twitter and Instagram at @avafray.