by Autumn Taylor

Why Fine Arts Programs Shouldn't Be Cut from Schools

By Autumn Taylor - Aug 06 2017

Over the past few years, more and more schools have decided to cut out several fine arts programs, whether they be visual arts, drama or band. But scientists and researchers have discovered that engaging in the fine arts is crucial for the human brain. It is scientifically proven that music improves work productivity, and studies have shown how expressing creativity is a major stress reliever for students. So why are schools no longer providing it?

Humans have been creating art for tens of thousands of years. In fact, one of the oldest discovered cave paintings is estimated to be 40,800 years old. It is part of a human’s natural instinct to create. Studies have also proven that certain parts of the human brain are specifically designed to perceive and respond only to music. So if it’s a natural human trait, shouldn't art and music classes should be kept?

In addition, neuroscience researchers are suggesting that participating in the arts actually engages fundamental parts of the human brain for emotional and social development. They have also proven that the ability to comprehend and emotionally respond to music is an inborn trait. Once again, scientists are saying it is a natural instinct to listen to music. Are we sensing a theme, yet?

Music is also scientifically proven to promote work productivity. A study by Teresa Lesuik indicates that listening to music while working promotes positive mood change as well as enhanced design perception. The results concluded that the quality of work was at its lowest when there was no music at all. Yes, you read that right. Science says music psychologically improves your work productivity.

Last but not least, a 2016 study had participants of varying ages create art. They had their cortisol levels (the chemical that helps your body manage stress) recorded before and after they created their art. The results showed significantly lower cortisol levels after the art-making process. This means they were drastically less stressed than when they started. In other words, art is a statistically proven stress-reliever. Sounds like art would be beneficial for high school students, doesn’t it?

Long story short and rhetorical questions aside, fine arts programs should absolutely be kept in schools. All the facts are here prove it, not to mention that most young people will find school so much more enjoyable with these types of courses. Schools aren’t saving money by cutting these programs out, they’re only hurting their students’ full potential for success. After all, art makes you smart.

Autumn Taylor - University of Alabama

Autumn Taylor is a freshman at The University of Alabama majoring in Advertising. She is a lover of traveling, animals, and all things creative. Instagram: @autietayy